Harpua's Tower

2»

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2016
    Lorelei concurred:...when you're players see the map and think "well this won't be too bad....what could go wrong in a lovely library"
    Right! Except... after 20 years, my players pretty much suspect everything. Which has it's own amusement value, I suppose.

That said, I'm still rewarded with the occasional nervous glance if I ask, "Which hand do you use [to open the door/to open the chest/to pull the lever/etc.]?" image
  • I've had my maps show up on sites I don't care to be associated with, and some named my site, without it being a link.

So I have added the copyright notices at the top of my sites basically saying my d&d type maps can onlt be used by people playing d&d type games and should be removed by other sites. Same for my Traveller, Tunnels and Trolls, The Fantasy Trip, and my futuristic/Victorian Mars sites. Worded appropriately.

I guess those who like to plagarize just cannot be bothered to ask nor acknowledge the work is done by someone else.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited July 2016
    All my CG stuff is now very blatantly watermarked all the way across the page - "MOUSE" (that's my CG name). If you ever end up with any of your stuff on Carl Bartoli's site, the easiest way to fix it is to edit your post, remove the original image, and upload the watermarked version in its place. CG admin have ascertained that he is simply sharing links to the maps stored on the CG server, rather than taking them per say. He's linking directly to the stored image, so the people who follow the link are doing the actual stealing the moment they start to download - while being completely unaware of the true owner, or any of the thread that it comes from. They aren't aware that they are stealing something because the way Carl presents it is "FREE", to quote his exact wording regarding my observatory!

That's why he had no choice but to ask you for permission, Lorelei - because all your stuff is watermarked on the CG page. He would have needed to get you to send him a usable copy.

I don't think this slime ball gives a jot about giving credit, where credit is due. He's just a thief, even if he isn't actually taking anything. Here in the UK aiding and abetting a crime is just as serious as actually committing it, and carries the same sentence.

I will be keeping a close eye on his page [EDIT: CARL BARTOLIS PAGE] just to make sure he isn't getting anything from this site, as well as sharing links to CG images, because the vital difference here is that you can't get hold of an image on PF without actually downloading it, which is stealing it by anybody's law if you fail to ask or acknowledge in accordance with the owner's wishes.

If any of the rest of you want to keep a lookout with me, the actual address {EDIT: CARL BARTOLIS PAGE} is this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1510397315867964/

EDIT: The perfect irony... Get this, will you: MIKE SCHLEY is an unwitting member of that particular group. I wonder what he'd have to say if he knew that at least five or six of those images his buddy, Carl, has shared are coming from people here at Profantasy, via the CG site, without their permission!
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited July 2016
    For the record: Robbie Powell, owner of the Cartographers Guild, has blocked the links from the Facebook page. One no longer can open these maps from the Facebook site.

Also to keep the record clear, I side 100% with the forum members here who feel their work has been abused. However, this thread here on the ProFantasy forum leads one into a labyrinth of misinformation and bad information that has turned the thread into a Tower of Babel, or rather a Tower of Babble.

The events here have to do with Facebook repeats of maps posted on the Cartographers Guild forum. The people who run the guild have been working on this problem and have posted some rather clear information on what really is and isn't happening. I strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in the status of things should flee this totally chaotic thread here with all due haste and go instead to the original thread at the Cartographers Guild:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=34770
    edited July 2016
    I think there may have been a misunderstanding here. This isn't about CG, or defaming it in any way.

Its about Carl Bartoli.

Robbie is as much a victim as we are.
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueI think there may have been a misunderstanding here. This isn't about CG, or defaming it in any way.
    Misunderstanding is caused by the way this thread rambles on like a derailed train. That is the reason I pointed to the thread at the CG, where Robbie and others get the train of the thread back on track again.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: VintyriI strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in the status of things should flee this totally chaotic thread here with all due haste and go instead to the original thread at the Cartographers Guild:

https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=34770
    When trying this link, I get: No input file specified.
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: GatharWhen trying this link, I get: No input file specified.
    Sorry, but I think you're right. This link appears to work only if one already is logged in as a member at the guild. If you're not a member, go to:

http://www.cartographersguild.com

Click "What's new" and go down the list then to the thread named "A question of rights and plagiarism."
  • But anyway.....HOW DO YOU LIKE MY TOWERS?? haha.
    Ooops Sorry Lorelei :)

I think I already said they were gorgeous, and then suggested you upload them to CG... If you chose to, that is. Maybe see what's happening there today?
  • Wait....why can't you click on my images in the PF forum and go to my OneDrive to view the larger high res files? Is the hyperlink not working? You can zoom in pretty close on the images that way, actually better than in the CG
    Oh right! Yes, I can click on them. Thank for reminding me. I've just seen even more beautiful detail than before.

Good stuff Lorelei ;)