Horn & Stars Tavern

2»

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2016
    I don't usually care for "photorealistic" maps, but this looks really good. The only nit I might have to pick at this point would be the stairs. They seem small compared to the scale of the other symbols.

Otherwise, I like the cramped feel of the place, which clearly does a lot of business. And the bard/musician chair by the door is a nice touch.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • oh, I agree, and I'm trying to figure out how to fix them... haven't really come up with anything yet... I need to make them larger, and at the same time, I need to make sure they fit the space. Plus they need a little something, I just haven't figured out what that something is yet. But the stairs is one of those 'tweaking' things I need to do.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    Posted By: LoopysueI still think they are beautiful :)
    Oh ... so do I! I was just explaining how he makes them.
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormI did notice one thing as I was working on this... and I don't know if this is normal or not, but Bogie's window symbols don't cut the walls, like the doors do. I don't know if they are supposed to, since i haven't put in windows before. It's not a problem, I worked around it by using the dd3 cutting tool. I used the regular 10 cutting tool.

*Special Note* < SNIP > Mark, I don't know if you want to try to do anything with that, it may be enough to make a note in any tutorial that comes with the release...
    Most of the windows cut, but the open ones don't. You may have your symbol width too tight for this to show up, but, the file names in the left-hand column do say whether it's cutting or non-cutting.

And ... right. The final documentation will explain some things that aren't explained in the beta guides.

Beyond that: The ground floor looks good!
    Posted By: LadieStormoh, I agree, and I'm trying to figure out how to fix them... haven't really come up with anything yet... I need to make them larger, and at the same time, I need to make sure they fit the space. Plus they need a little something, I just haven't figured out what that something is yet. But the stairs is one of those 'tweaking' things I need to do.
    You might want to try something walled like this. If you do, just click the symbol here with the right mouse key and choose "Save as Image."
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Surveyor
    LadieStorm, shouldn't the shutters be on the outside. Sometimes smart symbols are not so smart :) .
    Posted By: pvernonLadieStorm, shouldn't the shutters be on the outside. Sometimes smart symbols are not so smart :) .
    That was my first reaction, but I think it also works for the windows themselves opening to the inside.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Surveyor
    On the stairway size, a normal house sized circular staircase is about 6.5 feet in diameter. The stair tread is about 3 feet wide from the center post. So Vintyri's staircase above is about 12 feet or larger depending on how wide you think the stair tread should be.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    Hello LadyStorm,

I like your idea of an extension of the tavern into the basement, it sounds like a kind of medieval nightclub. Maybe it should have a stage and a dance-floor !
    I have one remark, about the fireplace: The fireplace in the basement should have something matching it on the first floor, either another fireplace, or just a chimney.
    Posted By: GatharThe fireplace in the basement should have something matching it on the first floor, either another fireplace, or just a chimney.
    Very good point. Right now, there's nowhere for the smoke to go! One can't even argue that it's bricked up, because a fire is burning.
    I like your idea of an extension of the tavern into the basement, it sounds like a kind of medieval nightclub. Maybe it should have a stage and a dance-floor !
    Before we start doing medieval disco dancing, I would point out that there is medieval precedent for a second tap in the cellar, however, the cold storage cellar where the barrel(s) of beer or ale are kept still is missing.
  • lol... okay guys... well, I have actually been working on the basement a bit... and I will address the basement fireplace lacking a chimney. I even think I know how I'm going to do it...

And Gathar, I thought about the stage idea... but remember, this is a SMALL TOWN tavern! Let's save that for the larger, more impressive city Inn/Tavern, shall we :D?

I did enlarge the stairs a bit, but I'm still not satisfied with them... I'm considering some ideas...trying to figure out how I'm going to pull them off. But I learned to get creative with my Merydyan map... so I'm sure I'll figure it out.
    Posted By: VintyriYou might want to try something walled like this. If you do, just click the symbol here with the right mouse key and choose "Save as Image."
    Or, if you really wanna bake yer noodle, just click Vintyri's stairs image (normal, left-click) and drag it onto your map! Surprise bonus feature of CC3+ !

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited June 2016
    That's a great set of stairs...only issue...they are stone, and I need wood :). But that's sort of the idea I was thinking of...walling in the stairs...after all, we wouldn't want a bench or chair to fall down them!

I'm also probably going g to change the floor. I love darkwoods but it doesn't really fit...I'm currently on the hunt for so.ething I like better... And I still need a good 'temple'floor to go with the black marble walls. The first floor was too dark, but this one is too light...too blue...

And I need to find flower boxes... I know I saw them somewhere, I just can't remember where! Lack of descent sleep, I guess.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't have the bitmaps for these textures, LadieStorm, because I didn't buy that particular piece of software, so I can't really help you directly with that particular problem, but even if you only have a basic graphics package (Windows paint would do, or GIMP), you can change the tone of the bitmap, or even the colour.

Just a suggestion :)
  • Oh, I'm not too worried...I'm sure something will turn up... ;)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I wish I was as free in my own mind. (that's intended as a compliment)

I tend to get bogged down with all the worrying little details :)
  • Lol...well, Mark has already mentioned that he's working on Bogie's bitmap fills...and since this project is utilizing Bogie's symbols... I will probably wait and see what Bogie has :). If his fills are even HALF as good as his symbols, I'm sure to find something that works better...and let's face it...Bogie doesn't do things half way!.
  • So here are the new renderings of the Horn & Stars Tavern. You may notice I've changed the ground floor..well...floor :). As much as I prefer hardwoods... I think this floor renders better. I attempted to address the chimney issue, and I finally got my flower boxes in. I added a few more details here and there.

I still have to work on the stair issue... but I'm getting there! So here is the first floor as it looks now...
  • and here is the new basement rendering. I was struggling with the chimney aspect, specifically, where to put it. I didn't want it inside my already cramped tavern... but it didn't seem right putting it on the outside. But during a conversation with a friend of mine, where I was explaining how this basement is actually what remains of an ancient temple... he reminded me that temples usually have alcoves.... and the rest is history.

Essentially, it solved my chimney problem quite nicely, by adding an alcove that the fireplace could be 'built into'. I've also added some more details as I continue to fill it out more. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about the floor... but that's a problem for another day.
    OK. You've got my question marks floating high in the sky.

Aside from the fact that this looks excellent - and it really does - what in the name of all the good gods are spider webs doing in what appear to be the beer or ale and wine cellars? Of all the things I wouldn't expect to be in a tavern (and I've been in an incredible number of them ... even earlier tonight!), spider webs in the beer and wine cellars are near the top of the list.

I'm really curious what that's all about. Is there a curse upon these cellars, so that the guests have to settle for tap water, perhaps? Seeing that I'm not playing in your campaign. you'll have to tell me or I ain't never gonna know (which also is a possible outcome for which I might have to settle).
  • I was wondering if anyone had noticed those!!! Of course, they would show up better, if I could change that floor! lol

Remember the huge fish in the river at Ardenvale? Also realize this basement ceiling is higher than it looks right now... it was once an ancient temple...well, as soon as I find some good ones, you might find cracks and holes in the walls... where spiders and rats are getting through... and are being mutated(rather quickly) by the ancient magic that still resides here. If you look past the 'secret' door, you should notice the implications of what this basement used to be. I haven't finished it yet, of course, but there's even a small crypt there. The ancient wizards and priests really new their stuff... that's one of the reason's this 'basement' is still intact after almost a thousand years!

But it's also had some adverse side affects... such as larger than normal creatures. And since I had planned an begginers level encounter here... I thought I would add some of those elements. :)

Does that help?
  • So I've been working diligently on this Tavern, and thanks to Ralf, I was finally able to change my basement floor to something that works a lot better, in my opinion! Thanks Ralf!!!

So there have been a lot of changes to the Horn and Stars Tavern. I switched the stairs around a bit... the basement is now full, and basically complete! I still have to make the tavern sign, and something seems to be off on my shadows...but other than that, this map is pretty much done.

So please, if you see anything that needs to be fixed, or tweaked, I really need to know before I put the finishing touches on it!

Oh, and does anyone know where I can get a blank, wooden tavern sign? I mean one big enough to use as a title box? It can be on chains, or on a sign post... it just needs to be blank so I can put my own sign on it. Thanks!
    Posted By: LadieStormOh, and does anyone know where I can get a blank, wooden tavern sign? I mean one big enough to use as a title box? It can be on chains, or on a sign post... it just needs to be blank so I can put my own sign on it. Thanks!
    Have you seen this thread? Jaerdaph even provides a template which, admittedly, I have not yet opened, that might be what you're after.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • here is the sign chain that i have used in the past. The quality is pretty poor though. I've used the link that Dogtag shared above. The signs come out awesome!
  • I just downloaded it for future reference... but it looks like I may have to get the heraldry add on pretty soon!

Vintyri was kind enough to find me a tavern sign, and I really like the look of it, so I will be able to finish this. The sign was all I had left to do.

Now onto the next project... Soulburn Castle!!!