Errispa 3

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LoopysueI tried it, and it worked, Monsen... but... and forgive me for being a bit stupid about these things, where will I find the new symbol I have made?

You see, when I hit "do it" all three symbols suddenly disappeared, and didn't seem to turn up anywhere I could see them. I ended up undoing it and leaving it as 3 pieces ready for your advice in this example map (shown above).
    Once the entities disappear, it means that they have been turned into a symbol definition in the current map. You can see it if you click the 'Symbols in drawing' button on top of the symbol catalog, which will show you all the symbols in the current map.

To put it into a proper symbol catalog, you can open up symbol manager, select the new symbol and hit the 'Save as Catalog' button. This will allow you to make a new symbol catalog with whatever symbols you have currently selected in symbol manager. Save it somewhere sensible, and just open this symbol catalog in any map you wish to use this symbol.
    If you have an existing symbol catalog you wish to define this symbol in, instead of defining it in your current map, open up this symbol catalog like it was a map (as opposed to just opening it in the symbol catalog window). Then define the symbol here instead, and just save the catalog when done. Now the symbol is part of that catalog.
    Whichever method you use, make sure the image files are somewhere sensible , because the symbols will always reference these. Best place to keep them is somewhere inside the Symbols directory of the CC3+ data directory, like @Symbols\User\Loopysue\Overland or similar. This makes it easier when using the catalog on a different computer. Remember to place them in their final living place BEFORE including them in the map/symbol catalog and defining a symbol from them.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks Monsen. That makes it all a lot clearer for this poor old foggy head :)

I'm glad I waited for your reply before trying again, or I would have been in an even bigger tangle with everything in the wrong place.
    This is chiefly for you, Dogtag14, but also for anyone else who downloaded the ocean effects file on the first page.

When I rendered the entire image just now I got this:
    You will notice how the equatorial flash (the ellipse) has fractured into strips or bands. This doesn't show on the screen but only when you render it.

I worked for a few minutes and realised the only difference between the ellipse and all the other massive shapes of the ocean (which were all behaving themselves quite perfectly), was that the ellipse was one big SMOOTH object, rather than a fractal one. You can solve this problem by hiding the Screen sheet, right clicking the fractalise button, choosing smooth to straight, then doing it to the ellipse that should now be visible either side of the map (the ends poke out). Once you have done that, it behaves itself properly.
    And I've done something about the glaring sea...
    Posted By: thatguy14I hope you dont mind a noob like me being critical
    No worries. I prefer people to be frank ;)
  • I just realized something!!! Loopysue, are you S H Daniel? More importantly to the reason I'm asking... Is S H Daniel previously published?

I ask, because I have a couple of books published under the name S D McDaniel, and a few years back Amazon had my author profile mixed up with someone else's. They had my two books listed under a similar author's name. My publisher set them straight, and they fixed it before I found out about it, but I'm wondering if I'm posting to the author( or person connected to the author) that my profile was mixed up with! If I am...what are the odds?
  • Posted By: Loopysue
    Posted By: MonsenRemember that when using this, you can define a new symbol in CC3(+) that incorporates both image files in one symbol.
    I tried it, and it worked, Monsen... but... and forgive me for being a bit stupid about these things, where will I find the new symbol I have made?

You see, when I hit "do it" all three symbols suddenly disappeared, and didn't seem to turn up anywhere I could see them. I ended up undoing it and leaving it as 3 pieces ready for your advice in this example map (shown above).

Please can you help? I just need to know what folder I'm looking in for the result :)
    When you save a symbol from the Symbols Manager, it saves into the folder you have been saving that map to. It doesn't save into the Symbols folder.
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormare you S H Daniel
    Yes, I am S H Daniel, but I've not got as far as the rest of you yet. I haven't published anything to be confused with anyone else :)

It may interest you to know that there is a famous opera singer, AND a famous artist - both by the same name. For myself I have been considering going by my mother's maiden name of Allen, but that is almost as common as Daniel. Anyway, I'd like to use Daniel, in honour of my father, who recently died. Either that or by my middle name of Helen, but again, its only going to get confused with others named Helen Daniel. Alternatively, I could call myself something like Anira Bellana, or something equally weird, but it just struck me that doing so was really a bit strange.

Sorry to disappoint! :)
    Posted By: JimPWhen you save a symbol from the Symbols Manager, it saves into the folder you have been saving that map to. It doesn't save into the Symbols folder.
    Ah ha! I knew it had to be lost somewhere, rather than nowhere. Thanks JimP. I can go and sort out the mess now I know where I'm looking :)
    Oops - forgot about something, LadieStorm, I have been... sort of published, but that was nothing to do with Amazon, and my readers only knew me as Elanor29. About half of the book now named Lana (number 5 in the series) was put up online for Writers Circle (which no longer exists), on a weekly chapter by chapter fashion, but I doubt there are even any echoes of that around now.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueThey don't seem to work the way I think they should on my widescreen laptop, so I will carry on rendering it as one vast image, though I'm thinking of chopping the render into segments and making it so that when a user is looking at it on the webpage and gets to the edge of the map they can click the next button (up, down or either side) to get the adjacent sheet in view. I'm hoping that won't be too difficult to arrange (though I admit I could do with some advice on that front - a handy online png viewer that will do the job I describe, perhaps?).
    I think you might be interested by looking at http://bsrp.tkunkel.de/maps/local/
    It shows a CC3+ map turned into something that can be displayed by google map. Just don't zoom too much because after some zoom level, all disappears.

The forum post by WarEagle on about how to do it is http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5544&page=1#Item_7

I'm afraid this will not help with your disease of wanting to map a whole world with a huge amount of details... :)
    Posted By: Gathar
    Posted By: LoopysueThey don't seem to work the way I think they should on my widescreen laptop, so I will carry on rendering it as one vast image, though I'm thinking of chopping the render into segments and making it so that when a user is looking at it on the webpage and gets to the edge of the map they can click the next button (up, down or either side) to get the adjacent sheet in view. I'm hoping that won't be too difficult to arrange (though I admit I could do with some advice on that front - a handy online png viewer that will do the job I describe, perhaps?).
    I think you might be interested by looking at http://bsrp.tkunkel.de/maps/local/
    It shows a CC3+ map turned into something that can be displayed by google map. Just don't zoom too much because after some zoom level, all disappears.

The forum post by WarEagle on about how to do it is http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5544&page=1#Item_7

I'm afraid this will not help with your disease of wanting to map a whole world with a huge amount of details... :)
    Excellent! Now I can go completely crazy and do the whole thing on a pin head :) :)

Thank you so much for this Gathar.
    Gathar - That was exactly what I was talking about - thanks again :)
    Well... what can I say?

I'm afraid Win 10 throws a wobbly with me when I try to open WarEagles macro to edit it the way he describes. I suppose I could do it and be damned, but I've seen this red box before, and it makes me feel ill when I remember the trouble I had with my only machine... 'my precious'...

Win 10 won't let you edit the macro, even if you right click it and ask for it to be opened in a suitable script editor - it will only run it... or not.

Moral of this story: If you want to do exciting and interesting things with your maps DONT GET WIN 10! WHATEVER YOU DO :(

Thanks Gathar - I mean for the idea. I KNOW it would have been great... but I'm afraid this user is far too scared of her operating system to go through with it. I'm sorry!
    While pressing on with the addition of tiny details in the hope of resolving the tile map problem I have with Win 10, I have run smack bang into a different problem altogether. I carefully plotted the line of the path the expedition takes along the edge of Sarrow Scarp to avoid the deadly carbon monoxide hollows created by the volcanic activity in this area, but at certain magnifications of the map this path now appears to fly off the edge of the cliff. I never drew it that way. Although the patrol of were-hawks guarding the expedition could easily shape shift to feathered form and take to the air without a problem, the poor old walkers (ordinary non were-hawk people) who are leading the expedition certainly couldn't.

Has anyone ever seen a footpath behave like this before?

I am using ecw3. In the image below I have drawn a yellow line beside the route the path was drawn along. The red circle marks the point at which the path suddenly decides to depart the route and fly off into the air.

Another problem (less worrying, but still a problem) is that although I chose ecw3 because its the closest thing to a dotted line, the dots appear to have merged into irregular dashes. Is there anything I can do about that?
    path.png 314.5K
  • I've gotten that same dumb warning when I install commercial software. It depends on your security settings. I rely on my firewall, anti-virus, and anti-trojan software.
    edited June 2016
    Unfortunately for me I have to rely on Win 10's inbuilt security system. I stopped being able to afford separate antivirus software about 6 months go when someone pulled out in front of me on a dual carriageway (doing about 70mph), and my car insurance went up by 20% (even though he admitted it was his fault, and witnesses said it was amazing I managed not to hit anything else in the process of only glancing off him).

The only thing I can do is let WIN 10 run itself at whatever setting it sees fit to operate at, or risk a virus attack. It is, however, a bit like living in Fort Nox. Life's no fun when you can't move for a hypersensitive, nannying OS. Every time I feel tempted to break its rules I only have to remember what happened last time I did... £50 worth of damage.

Never mind. I'll do something about it when I get my no claims bonus back again, and there are still several weeks worth of hard work to be done on the map before I'm finally ready for the big tiling event.

I'm sure we will have come up with a solution between us by then :)
    Sorry - my mistake, Fort Nox isn't a prison, but an army camp in the US. I should have said the H block
    In the mean time I have also solved the footpath problem. It turns out that I was putting too many nodes in too short a distance. In other words I was getting a bit too fussy about the actual detail by making the path too wiggly.
    edited June 2016
    I found a free clipart of a bonfire for the camp site symbol. I've had to make it fuzzier than it actually was when I got it to stop it from standing out like a scratch against everything else.

In case anyone is unsure about how free this is I got it here: http://www.clipartlord.com/category/travel-clip-art/camping-clip-art/bonfire-clip-art/, and the original source is iconka.com.

This is the untampered version
    edited June 2016
    And this is the slightly fuzzy version, for if you want it extra tiny like I did.
    I gave the symbol an orange glow to make it blend better with the surroundings.
    It looks a bit odd sat on top of the trees like this, but I will think about cutting an actual swathe down the grass for the path near the end, at which point I could also cut a swathe out of the grass itself for the fire to sit on.
    edited June 2016
    And in case your still wondering about the camp fire, here is a screen shot of what it says on iconka.com. If I use this in the final published map I will have to provide a link to iconka.com, but that's a small price to pay for a graphic that might otherwise have taken several days to draw from scratch by myself, and a link at the bottom of the map is really nothing I'm going to worry about. Its not going to be anywhere NEAR as big as the link to the Profantasy website ;)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueI'm afraid Win 10 throws a wobbly with me when I try to open WarEagles macro to edit it the way he describes. I suppose I could do it and be damned, but I've seen this red box before, and it makes me feel ill when I remember the trouble I had with my only machine... 'my precious'...

Win 10 won't let you edit the macro, even if you right click it and ask for it to be opened in a suitable script editor - it will only run it... or not.

Moral of this story: If you want to do exciting and interesting things with your maps DONT GET WIN 10! WHATEVER YOU DO :(

Thanks Gathar - I mean for the idea. I KNOW it would have been great... but I'm afraid this user is far too scared of her operating system to go through with it. I'm sorry!
    Note that WarEagle's scripts only helps you automate this, you can always do everything manually, the scripts just makes everything easier. When you save an image from CC3(+), you can select the 'rectangular section PNG', which allows you to only export parts of your map. To export using exact coordinates, simply type in the coordinates manually on the command line instead of describing the export area by clicking in the map. You should calculate the coordinates up front before exporting, and you need to make sure that all sections you export are the exact same size, or you will run into trouble when assembling them.
    If you're familiar with Excel (Or any similar software), you can also use that to generate the export macro commands for you, this used to be my approach.

His scripts also help you make the zoomable web map automatically, but you should be able to assemble it manually as well. He is using Leaflet to display the map, and you can find the instructions on their website to set this up. Obviously, using his scripts is far faster and easier though, but if you have problems running them, you should be able to do it manually following the tutorials on their site.
    Monsen, you are truly wonderful. I can't thank you enough :-)
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    I like those bonfires to display the progress of a journey, I really thing it's quite fine to have them on top of everything else, they are not supposed to represent real fires (otherwise, considering the scale, your wandering party is just a gathering of pyromaniacs!), but the symbol of resting places.
    Once again - with the turn of a page, I can't quote properly from the last page, but only copy the text.

Gathar said:

"I like those bonfires to display the progress of a journey, I really thing it's quite fine to have them on top of everything else, they are not supposed to represent real fires (otherwise, considering the scale, your wandering party is just a gathering of pyromaniacs!), but the symbol of resting places. "

I couldn't help myself but nearly scream with laughter at the very idea that my marvellous feathered heroes would be pyromaniacs. They are a little too flammable for that. lol!

I kind of agree with you about the fact that these massive bonfires (if you go by scale) are really only representative of camp sites, and that I shouldn't worry about settling them in to the scenery. I think the reason my mind is still a little unsettled by them is that I'm not 100% happy with them as they are. Maybe a little more blurring of the tops of the flames would be in order, just to stop them standing out so much against everything else?
  • Posted By: LoopysueSorry - my mistake, Fort Nox isn't a prison, but an army camp in the US. I should have said the H block
    Actually, it may not be obvious, but it is both a military base and gold stoage.
    Thanks for making me laugh, Gathar.

I have modified the camp fire (very roughly), and made the tops of the flames a little more transparent. A side effect of the amateur fiddling methods I have employed has given it a slightly dark halo at the top, but in my mind this is the smoke. Its not a professional job by any means, but I think its better than before despite the accidental smoke having a rather sharp edge. It doesn't really show up on the map.