Merydyan: a 'commissioned' map

13»

Comments

• This second option is what I was looking for :) what I was trying to do was load them all... Which of course, is an exercise in futility. Thanks again, Mark! You see, every time I make a new map, I learn something!
  • Okay, that worked really well, but it also gave me a snag. I used the Herman Weilink volcanic rock as the background for my seal. Which worked out great. Then I pulled the gray stone bitmap from dd3 for map map legend, no problem...until I realized the stone bitmap saved in the volcanic rock spot, and turned my seal bitmap to the stone. Now I can't find the volcanic rock bitmap to fix my seal.

I did rename the bitmap to gray stone...but I can't seem to find the Herman Weilink bitmaps.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormI can't seem to find the Herman Weilink bitmaps.
    The location is:

(Data Folders)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Bitmaps\Tiles\Overland\Annual Herwin Wielink
  • Okay, I'm having a problem. Every time I try to import the bitmap, the fcw.32 stops working and cc3+ closes. I had this happen once when I imported the grey stone. Trying to get the volcanic stone back...it crashes every time.

Help, please? What am I doing wrong?
    Posted By: LadieStormHelp, please? What am I doing wrong?
    Ummm .... it might help if you tell us first what you're doing and how you're doing it. I don't ... for instance ... have the slightest idea what you mean when you say that you:
    try to import the bitmap
    Are you simply opening it, like I described above, or are you using the /Symbols/Import pngs option or perhaps something entirely different?
  • Sorry Mark, I'm trying to open it like you said above. The only thing is...when I did that before, it took the place of the volcanic rock bitmap. When it did that, it changed the volcanic bitmap in my seal to the gray stone of my map legend.

So I figured I would just open it back up again, only I don't want to replace the gray stone, because I'm using it. So I tried to have the bitmap fill bar on a bitmap I'm not using in my map. I chose one of the snow fills, because there is no snow in this map. But when I try to reopen the volcanic rock, cc3+ crashes. Every time.
    Posted By: LadieStorm But when I try to reopen the volcanic rock, cc3+ crashes. Every time.
    Why don't you post your .FCW file and then see if I or someone else can figure out what's up?
    So I tried to have the bitmap fill bar on a bitmap I'm not using in my map.
    I also am totally unclear what you mean by:
    the bitmap fill bar
  • Okay... Unfortunately I'm at home, so I can't get my laptop online. It's after 2am here... So it will have to wait for the morning(East coast time). I will post it then. I may have an idea that will work. If it doesn't, I will post it.
  • Okay, I'm back online... and I tried my idea for getting back the bitmap... it didn't work. What I've done in the mean time, is to change the graystone background of the seal to the yellow land bitmap, since it was one I wasn't using. If I can't get this to work, I may just keep it that way. It's not bad, just not what I wanted...

I still have to make the map title, then try to tackle the border. Anyway, here's the fcw to show what I'm having the problem with...
    I think what you were trying to arrive at is what's in the FCW below.
    edited June 2016
    However, when you picked the Wielink vulcanic fill out of the "foreign" Overland area, you left the Graystone name there as the fill style name, therefore changing the Graystone fill style to the vulcanic graphic. When you use a "foreign" fill like that, you also need to click New and give it a new fill style name. See the screen shot below.

However, there was another strange problem that I haven't figured out yet. When I first opened your map, it gave me a red X behind the legend. I had to reconnect the Graystone fill style to the file before it worked. I have to look again to see if I can figure that out.
    This is what's eluding me. All I can guess is that your fill style changes caused this somewhere. But the entries are correct, so I'm a little puzzled what caused this, if my guess is right.
  • your guess is as good as mine! Probably better, actually...lol

but let me get your opinion on the seal... I'm actually thinking that the yellow land background works just as well. I only used the volcanic back so that the symbols would stand out. What do you think?
    For those who are just looking, this is what my revision ends up being:
  • edited June 2016
    Actually, I might know why that is happening for you. I took that bitmap fill from the dd3 bitmap files. I remember you saying you don't use dd3. Do you have dd3 installed? If you don't, you wouldn't have that bitmap in your files... therefore, big red x :)

Wow... I'm learning! Slowly but surely, I'm learning.... eh, had to happen eventually!
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormI remember you saying you don't use dd3. Do you have dd3 installed?
    That's not it. I don't use DD3 to make maps, but I certainly do use it, for instance, for making DD3 things for the Vintyri Collection or for the still-unannounced beta test project that you and I have discussed privately. I certainly have DD3 installed. If I didn't, I wouldn't have been able to reconnect to the symbol. For the record, I also have CD3, CA3 and PER 3 installed, although I use only CA3 in production.
  • edited June 2016
    I think I'm going to leave the seal as it is, with the yellow land background. Now I just need to make my Map Title, and tackle my border, and I'm done!

Maybe add a dragon flying overhead, if I can find one...
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Its a beautiful map, LadieStorm :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2016
    Looks very good. For what it's worth, I like the light-colored background on the seal. You might want to consider a glow around the compass rose to make it more discernible over the ocean but, as before, the map looks really nice as it is. Great job!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • there actually is a glow there... but perhaps I could make it just a little stronger...
  • edited June 2016
    Well, for.good or ill, this map is complete. I will post the finished map on Monday when I can get online again.

So now... On to the next project!!!
  • You have put a lot of work into this - it is great! ;-)
  • Well, I finally finished this map, but this is the first chance I've had to get online to post it! I want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions along the way. This has been a completely different experience dealing with a 'commissioned' map... but hopefully it's given me enough experience to work on my next few projects... ;)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited June 2016
    *doffs cap*   Great work! Thanks for sharing the whole experience with us.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag