The World of Adryn

Hey all, here is my first attempt at a full world map. This is the setting I use for my Dungeons & Dragons campaign.

There are two concerns I have, one regarding whether the labels seem too cluttering, and the other is whether the beveled polygons work fine for the forests. I intend to use symbols at higher zoom levels (including something more than a dot for locations) but I'm not sure if it would work at a full continent scale. Any other criticisms and kinks to work out are well appreciated.

Standard Map

I also have a kingdom boundaries version and am working on a land trade routes map currently, which may end up on here as well.

Cheers.

Comments

• I apologize for the low resolution. Not sure what happened there. Maybe I'll have to upload directly from my PC.
  • Nice work ! I really like the Kingdom Boundaries version.

Is there a reason for the north-east coast to be so linear ?
  • edited February 2016
    Nice map! Wonderful river systems (but river labels are too small). A very playable (gameable) map!

Could you, please, describe the way you made your mountains. Or is it just an awesome drawing tool in some of the annuals?
  • edited February 2016
    Posted By: SvaalaIs there a reason for the north-east coast to be so linear ?
    Actually yes. There was a cataclysmic elemental battle between the gods of magic that started destroying the land itself. The only reason this continent survived is because the good-aligned god stood where that unnatural line is and created a barrier to protect the rest of the continent.

Posted By: kilma.ard.venomCould you, please, describe the way you made your mountains. Or is it just an awesome drawing tool in some of the annuals?
    It is from an annual; which one and who inspired it escapes me now. But it's two layers of polygon with a lighted bevel and a rock texture. I can load up CC when I get a chance and give you the specs if you want.
  • Posted By: Artifex421
    Posted By: SvaalaIs there a reason for the north-east coast to be so linear ?
    Actually yes. There was a cataclysmic elemental battle between the gods of magic that started destroying the land itself. The only reason this continent survived is because the good-aligned god stood where that unnatural line is and created a barrier to protect the rest of the continent.
    Fair enough ;)
  • Posted By: Artifex421I can load up CC when I get a chance and give you the specs if you want.
    That would be great. Thank you!
  • edited February 2016
    Posted By: kilma.ard.venomCould you, please, describe the way you made your mountains.
    Here we go.

Have two separate sheets for this. On the lower sheet, draw a smooth polygon where you want the range. Have it slightly wavy to show the feet of the mountain. Give it a "mountain dark Bitmap" fill. On the upper sheet, draw another smooth poly about 1/3 smaller, except with more defined ridges and the light mountain fill.

And the effects for each sheet (bottom/top):
    Lighted Bevel
    -Bevel size 40%/140%
    -Intensity 7500% both
    -Lightness Base 100% both
    -Lightness Range 50% both
    -Smoothing 0%/1%
    -Edge Fade 60%/100%
    -Percent of view width

Edge Fade
    -5/30 units
    -50%/0% opacity level
    -Map units

These are the current settings for my map but they can definitely be tweaked. It appears the edge fade is not too evident but I started this map on a different PC and before the CC3+ update.