Historical Battle Maps

Besides roleplaying, I also do a lot of historical table top war gaming.

I would love to see some historical themed styles for making our own battle maps.

We have several good ones for overland maps, but none for battle maps.

I like playing the Osprey series:
1. Field of Glory - Ancients
2. Field of Glory - Renaissance
3. Field of Glory - Napoleonic
4. Bolt Action - World War 2

The stuff that we have now will work for the first two.

But it would be great if Profantasy had themed sets for the other two; especially World War 2 with bunkers, shell damage, fox holes, casualties, buildings, destroyed equipment, and more....

Just an idea - Thanks!

Comments

• Have you taken a look at the maps I've done for Baccus 6mm (Polemos series for everything from Ancients to 19th century), GHQ (lots of WW2 Battlemaps), Warlord Games (their first Blackpowder Pike & Shotte book), Alien Dungeon (All Quiet on the Martian Front - only a few of the battle maps I've done have been released & all of them are in a historically researched style), as well as several other publications? If you delve into all the Annuals, you will find techniques you can apply to Historic Battle Maps.
    Skal,
    Sven
  • There is definitely some great stuff there, but I would still love some themed battle map styles.

I plan to use what they have to make tiles for my 20mm collection.

I am currently working on the Germans and American Paratroopers for some behind the lines D-Day Action.

I am also working on two Renaissance Japanese armies to fight each other (One still holding onto the old ways of honor and another one embracing the future of warfare).

Do you have links to the ones you made?

Thanks Sven!

:-)
  • edited September 2015
    Because of agreement with publishers I don't have the kind of battlemaps (I gather you want an RPG style) you're thinking of as examples, but here's a link to my website with examples from over the years from different publishers.
    https://sites.google.com/site/vikingjarl/.

Have fun wandering through the pages & let me know if you like.

Skal,
    Sven
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks Sven!

I was thinking more like terrain boards.

That tends to work well with stand of 3 to 4 miniatures.

So the idea is to create battle board by printing of terrain tiles made with CC3+.

Lets say, I need a forest with a line of scatter trenches and bunkers I could create these and then print them.

I would then glue them onto boards to create the terrain.

I could pre-place obstacles like barb wire and dragons teeth.

I could mark certain areas off as mined.

Create roads or a river.

Make bridges to be taken, or even a train depot to seize.

The idea is to create terrain boards for a traditional table top war game table (although, mine is 5x8 instead of the normal 4x6).

For large scale Fantasy battles I use the old AD&D 2nd miniature rules.

They are extremely easy to add your own unique creatures to.

Great site by the way! :-)
  • Thank you for your kind words. I kind of guessed that was where you were going. I have done them in standard DD3, CC3, & CC3+ but am not allowed to share them yet because of agreements for the commissions. It is rather straight forward to do actually.

Good luck!
    Sven