Lesser-used effects

jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
I was piddling about last night and realized that there are certain effects that I haven't seen much of. I did a little drawing (very little) and came up with this map:
a0b.jpg 37.8K

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    And then I turned on effects and it looked a little better:
    a0a.jpg 90.1K
    The fun parts are the use of the edge striping and color key filters on the LAND sheet. Edge striping with the attached image will generate the outer coast-following things (it's alpha-blended, so it will show up on top of other things). Color key uses magenta items in the first post to knock out parts of the land to form the interior rivers and lakes without having to worry about cutting and cleaning. It's possible to add more magenta things to the LAND sheet and they will form more water area that takes up the edge striping.

The bevel mountains and texturized forests are pretty standard fare, but they are there to make it look less like some blobs.
    And the map, in case anyone wants to look at it:
    a0.FCW 164.3K
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
  • The Color Key effect is really rather amazing and will be something that I'll use A LOT!!! Thanks for giving an example of how to use it.

The edge striping effect will not work for me. It does not show up, even if I open your example map.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Did you remember to grab the attached image as well? The edge striping needs that to work (Check the effect setting for the location of the image)
  • edited August 2015
    Posted By: MonsenDid you remember to grab the attached image as well? The edge striping needs that to work (Check the effect setting for the location of the image)
    No, I did not remember to grab the image. As the saying goes..."Some days I would forget my head if it wasn't attached". Sigh Thanks Monsen.

Edited to add: I also got it to work with my own image on my desktop. CC3+ hates my laptop as much as I do. I don't know if I'll ever figure out why.
  • AEIOUAEIOU Newcomer
    Those are two VERY nifty effects. I could have used both on the last two maps I did and my life would have been significantly better. I may go back and redo on now that I see the Color Key in action.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Thanks Joe for showcasing these! I really haven't gotten around to using them properly in the Annuals.
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    Anyone know where the Edge Striping effect is documented? I can't find it in the CC3+ help or manual :(

Nor can I find the "noise1.png" used by the Texturize effect on the vegetation sheet - I'm not having a very good morning...
    noise1.png was a noise image that's currently sitting on my main computer. I'll try to remember to post it if I can get access to that machine again. The Edge Striping filter (and possibly the color key filter) is probably not documented; it was one of those features that crept silently in because a programmer had an urge to write some code.

The Edge striping filter takes the top row of pixels from an image and replicates it perpendicularly to the edges of the entities on a sheet. It was intended for things like the sea lines shown above, but can also be used to do wide or antialiased lines along entities in a limited fashion.

The Color Key filter was spawned from my perpetual inability to plan and from my being too lazy to edit entities.
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    Well, many thanks for both of them!
    Here's the missing noise1.png.
  • Hello Joe,

thank you for pointing out this interesting feature.
    I remember the Annual Issue no. 60 (1930s Street Maps) where the nice coastlines of the original drawing style were substituted by a seamless texture (that I honestly speaking never liked very much, but it was a compromise due to some limitations of CC3)

With a little fiddling and using the the two effects described by Joe and the attached png as a filter for the Edge stripping filter it is possible to recreate the original style much more realistic.

Here is my result:

Greetings,
    André