[How to Fix] Program stops responding when applying sheet effects.

I started experimenting with CC3 (specifically CD3) a few days ago by working through the selection of tutorials written by Gandwarf.

The first few times I reached the end of the PDF and applied sheet effects it seemed to take a few minutes. As I moved on the time increased to 5-10 mins and then finally 30 mins to apply effects.

The program would switch between responding and not responding until eventually the effects applied.

I had a look on these boards during the 30 minute render, and found several threads with people reporting a similar issue, some even reported that the rendering never happened.

I didn't find a 'fix' on the boards, but luckily when I returned to CC3 the effects had finally finished.

I then made an important realisation.

Every single time the rendering had completed, I had also switched to a different application to do something while I waited. The quicker ones were me switching to the PDF to check out the next stage of the tutorial, the longer ones were when I was just waiting, having already established my next step. Those times I got bored watching nothing happen and switched over to Firefox for a bit.

I've tested this now several times and switching to a different application for 30 seconds or so, I have - so far - always come back to rendered sheet effects.

The issue (at least the one I was having) seems to be related to CC3 remaining the 'active' application during the render. As this now seems to work every time with no need to restart the app, I thought I'd make a post about it here.

I can't guarantee that everyone who has the program stop responding is seeing the same thing, but next time the program stops responding while rendering sheet effects, try opening your browser (full screen covering CC3) and surfing the web for 30 seconds or so.

Comments

• Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Please contact tech support.
  • 01i01i
    edited January 2014
    Simon, I think perhaps I spent too much of that post explaining the problem and too little explaining the solution. I made that post based on several threads that I'd found where people were mentioning that they had the same issue and when it happened the effects would never actually apply. Others mentioned that they had given up on applying sheet effects all together.

The 'how to fix' in the title was a statement, rather than a question, and I was trying to post a helpful thread.

When I leave CC3 as the "active" windows application then it repeatedly stops responding when applying sheet effects.

However.

If I click to apply the effects, and then open firefox (or any other application) in full screen, taking away the focus from CC3 and do things in the other application 30 to 60 seconds, when I switch back to CC3 the effects have rendered. This has happened every time so far.

I know that usually when I'm doing something like rendering in an app, opening other apps and doing something in them while I wait makes things take longer. Because of this I generally avoid multi-tasking when using these sort of apps. I assume that there are others with this mindset, and they might well be the same people noticing the issue of the application stopping responding.

CC3 seems to be an application that - at least on my computer - prefers to render when it's not the active application with windows' focus.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Sorry - it's a useful contribution. If we have the drawing we might be able to see if it's fixed in cc3+.