Download speed

2»

Comments

• 3 years later
  • (Bumping an old thread) Yep, same here. Horrifically slow. I literally just finished a 25GB download in half an hour... and 1.3GB downloads from here are telling me 9 hours...

Perhaps this could be solved by simply offering Torrent options? ?

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Have you tried using Internet Download Manager, or similar software? I use it all the time if Edge doesn't snatch the URL and start by itself before I can trigger IDM. I don't think the server is as fast as your reported 25GB in 30 minutes, but it's never taken me 9 hours to do 1.3GB from PF.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

I know this isn't really helpful for you, but I just wanted to confirm that the download server itself has quite decent speed. I am getting about 25MB per second when downloading from here, downloaded a 2.6GB file in less than 2 minutes.

The server hosting the download is an Amazon hosted server in the US, and I am in Europe, so I am certainly not getting decent speeds because I am nearby either. But download speed can be affected by a lot of things, depending on how your ISP is connected to the US, due to different agreements, not all of them use the same cable if multiple connections exists.

Unfortunately, torrents are only really good when there are many users downloading the files at the same time, allowing them to share data with each other. For companies with a more limited download volume, you usually end up with the only seed being the main download server itself, which usually results in slower downloads over torrent than a direct download would do anyway.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

My broadband is mobile (4G), not wired, so speed varies considerably depending on how many people in my town are using the mast. I don't get the kind of speed that Remy gets, but its reasonable for where I live.

• Lots of people staying home. And that the Internet backbone, including in the US, needs a major over haul.

Those are the two big reasons why. And of course, while changes/upgrades have happened, the Internet was not designed with downloading files, watching movies, etc. in mind.

• I had never needed this (type of) program before, but I appreciate you mentioning it! I was getting bummed out that for whatever reason our ISPs are having a spat and I was being told to expect 26 hours for a 1.3GB d/l. Grabbed IDM and it's given me more in 5 minutes than the previous 2 solid hours. Yay! Though, while I went and set all that up, my d/l speeds through Steam were 10.3MBps (82.4Mbps), so it's something to do with the browsers. Le sigh. However - this new toy will be super helpful! =^_^=

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2020

Note that steam often have agreement with local ISP's to host a cache server inside their own network, which gives vastly improved speed over anything you need to go out to the actual internet for. Youtube do the same thing, and other services too.

Some ISP's also cache frequently downloaded files, because it is cheaper for them to not have the users use their internet connection, and it is a better experience for the user getting a cached file. This got somewhat more tricky after https started being the standard everywhere though.