Hyperlinks truncated when too long?

Hi all, long time no talk. I have noticed lately in some of my maps that hyperlinks don't seem to work right. I insert them as normal, but the string is truncated and the link won't work. In some cases, I can manually edit the text to include the right info (usually the .fcw and the ; ). In others, the long address string is so far at the end of the map I have to zoom out a bunch and then can't select the text.

I imagine there's something goofed up, but I haven't been able to figure out what. Any ideas appreciated!

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yes, there is a limit to the size of the hyperlink text, which can be exceeded if you have a long path to your linked file. I highly recommend to keep your links relational, i.e. make them relative to the current map by replacing the path to the current map with the $ character. That will ensure the links will keep working on different computers AND remove the problem of length.
  • Wow, thank you!

Can I confirm what you mean here... probably some old DOS trick that I've forgotten. The string would go from

~LOADM C:\PROGRAM FILES\PROFANTASY\CC3 \FILE\SUBFILE\SUBSUBFILE\map.fcw; to something like

~LOADM $\SUBSUBFILE\map.fcw;

Is that right?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Depends on where the current map (the one were the hyperlink is in) is. So if the current map was saved in \SUBFILE\, it would be:
    ~LOADM $SUBSUBFILE\map.fcw;

If it was in \FILE\ the link would be:
    ~LOADM $SUBFILE\SUBSUBFILE\map.fcw;

The $ is a placeholder that CC3 uses for the path to the current map. There is another one: # stands for the CC3 program folder (the path to fcw32.exe). So if you are certain your maps will remain within your CC3 installation, you can also use
    ~#FILE\SUBFILE\SUBSUBFILE\map.fcw;

But for a series of interconnected maps, the $ is definitely the recommended method, as it means you can move those maps around, as long as you keep them in the relative positions to each other.