Merging 2 overlapping landmasses

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Yes.

Editing a landmass is done using the same drawing tool you used to create it. Start the drawing tool, and if you look at the command line, it should offer you the option of pressing E for 'Edit'. Doing this will allow you to add to or remove from an existing landmass, by basically drawing the coastline again between two nodes. Just follow the prompts on the command line.

To merge two landmasses, you should delete the black outline of both landmasses first, then use Break [BREAK] to remove the parts of the landmasses where they will join (This will remove the fill of the landmass, don't worry about it, it will be restored), then use combine paths [CMB] to combine the outline paths into one path, then use Path to Poly [CLOSEPATH] to close up the polygon again (This will return the fill to the landmass). Finally, use outline in Black [OUTLINEB] to give the landmass an outline again. Now, if this results in some long straight connecting lines between the landmasses because they were a bit apart, use the Edit functionality as mentioned above to replace the straight line with a better coastline drawn by the drawing tool.
    LoopysueGlitchMosk
  • 8 years later
  • moskthescribemoskthescribe Newcomer
    edited February 2022

Never mind - found answer in another post by @Monsen - which says after clicking break, you first select the part/path of the item that you're going to want to keep. (left question below in case someone else runs into same problem)

I'm using Break to remove part of a landmass so I can merge the lines to create a new landmass. The Break command has you select the landmass you want to break, then select a start point (A) and end point (B). How do you control which part of the path will remain (e.g. whether the path will go clockwise or counterclockwise from A to B)? Thanks

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

That was 8 years ago, now. Today we have a lot more commands for things like this.

The shortest way is just to add the missing bit if there is a gap, hide all other sheets but the LAND sheet, pick the properties of the land, and then use the keyboard command TRACED to select them all and join them all into one by automatically tracing all the way around the whole lot. Delete the separate bits of land and you will be left with just the one part.

Glitch
  • I created three landmasses (A, B, C) without any borders, positioned them so they were overlapping, then used the TRACED command. Deleted the original individual parts, and now I have a single landmass (D) shaped from the original three. However, if I try to use the Landmass tool and select E to edit, Campaign Cartographer won't let me select my new landmass (D) ; instead it selects whatever landmass elsewhere on the map happens to be closest to my cursor.

Do I need to do something to turn the landmass generated by Traced into a regular landmass so I can use the edit tool to further work on its shape?

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Use the Change like drawing tool option in the right click menu of the Change Properties tool, and pick the land drawing tool.

If that doesn't work, show us a screen shot to make sure I'm not missing something here.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2022

Make sure the combined landmass is on the correct sheet and layer. TRACED places the new landmass on the current sheet and layer, but the edit feature of the tools expects the entity to edit to be on the appropriate sheet and layer for entities created by the tool (This is how the landmass tool recognizes it as a landmass)

• Thanks for the explanations. My traced landmass was on the correct sheet but wrong Layer. When I put it back on the Coast/Sea layer ( like the default landmasses) with Change Properties, I was able to edit as expected with the land mass tool. Thanks again for the help.