Tundra Map HW style

This is a little map of a tundra between two mountain ranges. This was based on a map request I saw on the CG website. Please take a peek and provide some feedback on what you think.

Thanks,

KenG

Comments

• I know its just a tundra, but, perhaps you could put some other symbols in the area like a giant crack or perhaps use the mesa symbols with a grey-blue color to show large ice sheets. you can also use colored hills to break up the area.

you might want to put some pine trees on the edge of the forest and tundra to break up the line a bit and put some trees in the forest area to add some extra texture and break up the pattern. you don't need many, just a few clumps here and there, you don't want a solid line of trees.

The mountains are well done, but, maybe you could delete the mountain ridge symbol above the elven city in the south and create a mountain pass (you could replace it with some small, grey hills. unless, of course, the mountain range is supposed to be impassable.

I also like how some of the pine trees are going up, into the mountains in the north. Try adding more. I might use that on my maps...

Last observation...that river in the east...which way does it flow? my suggestion would be to have it flow into the forested area and off the map to the east, you can then have two rivers from the north and south feed into it where the city is.
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Soldyne,

Thanks for the suggestions. You are right it is one big open space, which was the original design but adding a bit more would make the map look better so I'll add a bit more detail.
    I actually have trees in and on the edge of the forest, but apparently on the wrong sheet as they are hidden. oops
    The river is flowing from north to south and then along the edge of the mountains but I think your idea of adding another stream and having it flow in a more Easterly direction is a good one.
    The elf city is suppose to be a port city and not really accessible via land, I thought about putting in a high mountain path to the city but in the end decided against it. However players might be able to find traces of such a round in the archives...
    Thanks for the feedback it is appreciated and helpful.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    I was going to make the same suggestion about trees but, since that's a moot point, I'll just say: "Cool!" (ha ha, cool... tundra... get it?

This style really lends itself to this kind of zoomed-in map. It looks great! I hope you'll post your revised version too.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • I like this fealing of loneliness this map conveys. The mountain lost in the open ground looks out of scale though.

+1 for the trees and the river.

The elven city could perhaps pop up more, I almost missed it...
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Ok you made your comments and I've listened (well mostly)
    Many updates I moved and expanded the river to flow through the forest
    I've slightly changed the design of the forest to take into account the slow retreat from the tundra
    I moved the manmade structures to a separate sheet to allow additional effects.
    I added a secret path to the elf city at the bottom.
    I added a couple of minor features to the expanse but I didn't want to do too much and lose the desolation feeling.
    So please review and let me know what works and what fails.

Thanks,
    KenG
  • Well, the moutains range are arranged so that the valley is sloping up on the right of the map, making the river still strange.

I wonder if a white glow would make buildings and settlements more obvious...

The meandering path to the elven city is a great addition.
  • This is nice. Agree with JDR that the weakness is the rivers. Part of the problem may be that the symbols in the map are isometric perspective and the river is drawn top-down. So maybe, if you can find a clever way to depict a river bank on one side it might help. (maybe playing around with lighted bevel settings)
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Get clever... uh oh I'm in trouble... lol
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2013
    Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelThe meandering path to the elven city is a great addition.
    +1

Personally, I think the black glow you added to the man-made structures pulls them out of the map, almost giving them a cartoonish feel — or, actually, it reminds me of some overland maps in computer RPGs that indicate where you've been. I'd suggest maybe lowering the intensity/opacity of the black outline or trying JDR's suggestion of a white glow instead. But, honestly, I think the map looks great. In fact, let me give another +1 to that path in the mountains.

~Dogtag
  • I use this style a lot now and when I have structures next to the mountains or in marshy terrain I sometimes use a darkish blue/grey glow. it seems to match the tone of the rest of the style without detracting too much. I believe its color number 68.

the mountain pass looks nice. if you don't want it to be a often used path, perhaps you could get rid of the dotted line, keep the cave symbol, and if your players are observant, they will ask what the cave is doing up in the mountains. perhaps they can "re-discover" the ancient pass after dealing with some troubling (insert monster name here) creatures. instant adventure.