How to combine two similar terrains or expand a current terrain?

I have a very common problem, and can't find a solution online or in the manual.

If I create a Default Terrain, sometimes I need to "add to it" or expand it to make it bigger. Sometimes, this works seamlessly. However, with something like "Farmland" or "Lava" in Herwin Wielink's terrain, it looks bad because the lava streams or farm squares don't line up correctly. This is due to there being two separately drawn Default Terrains of the same time, overlapping one another.

So lets say that I create a 10x10 squad of farmland. What if I wanted to make it bigger, say 20x10, but wanted it to keep the same fill?

I uploaded this image, showing two different "Default Terrain" farmlands drawn. The second, is drawn on top of the first, because I wanted the whole thing to be bigger. However, I can't find a way to combine the two, so that the fill works correctly.
Sorry if I did not explain the problem very well.

Comments

• pdjpdj Traveler
    Take a look at "Editing with Drawing Tools" on page 40 of the User Manual. Basically the technique is to edit
    the existing polygon rather than try to overlay it with another.

Hope that helps :)
  • edited October 2013
    I believe the quickest would be to redraw the big poly and erase the other two...
    pdj's way would be the best on an elaborate shape (ie with many more nodes).
  • Thank you. "Editing with Drawing Tools" is exactly what I needed. Must have missed it in the manual :)

Your post saved me hours of searching and headaches, I am grateful!
  • edited October 2013
    On second thought, when I actually read the section, it refers to editing landmass only. It doesn't say how to edit terrain blobs.

It works for the continent, but how do I get it to work for this?

Edit: The "NODE EDIT" button works.

Step 1) Click the NODE EDIT button. It is in the bottom left section of buttons with the blue squares and blue/red lines. It is the top left button in that section.
    Step 2) Click on an edge of the terrain blob. It only works if you click somewhere on the very edge. "Insert Node" may be used with this as well.
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    Hmmm - you don't actually say what doesn't work. Do be aware that the "E-edit" function isn't available in the shape-drawing tools icons you can choose on the right of the screen - it's only available in the regular drawing-tools you select
    from the terrain icons top left. I don't know why that is.
  • Posted By: pdjHmmm - you don't actually say what doesn't work. Do be aware that the "E-edit" function isn't available in the shape-drawing tools icons you can choose on the right of the screen - it's only available in the regular drawing-tools you select
    from the terrain icons top left. I don't know why that is.
    Oh sorry. On page 40, the tool they use is the Landscape tool with the "E-edit" option. It doesn't work on terrain tool.

The NODE EDIT works though. Thank you.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: RonnyRulzOh sorry. On page 40, the tool they use is the Landscape tool with the "E-edit" option. It doesn't work on terrain tool.
    The edit functionality is not available on tools based on smooth polygons (Like the farmland from that particular style is. For these you must use the node editing features, as you have already figured out.

One thing you could use that the tool supports is the Trace functionality however. Assuming you have several polygons on top of each other as you have in your original screenshot, you can trace the outer edges of each polygon to create a new polygon following those edges. You can easily use Trace to trace multiple entities in a row (Trace needs to be ended and reactivated for each)