Replacing textures

I'm trying to use this program...and I can't figure out how to replace the textures

The default water that loads, looks awful, so I'm making my own tile texture to use (and I saved it as PNG file)

I have no idea how to replace the water texture, how to replace the ugly ground texture that's used on the island drawings

They sure aren't making this program easy to use, with how hard they're making it to make use of your own textures

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If you wish to use your own textures, you need to import them into the map as fill styles. Use Tools -> Import bitmap fill styles for this, and point the folder where you have your own fill styles.
    Now, these new bitmaps should be available as fill styles in the fill style dialog, and you should also find them in the dropdown in the change properties dialog.

If you wish, you can create new drawing tools that uses these new fill styles instead of the default ones.

Note that these will only be referenced from your map, so you need to have these files available in the same location each time you open the map.
  • I came up with my own templates, and used other bitmap fills.
  • Yes, I've read all that before

BUT, you're missing something very import in the details you typed

How do I pick the water background (or island) to fill in with my own texture with?

No one has yet to say this in anything else I've read, and that's something important to tell people when trying to do this sort of stuff. Hell, it should even be documented for how much you can send on this program
  • So....how do I select an island and replace the texture that it was made with?
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2013
    Change properties, left side of CC3. Right click it. In the menu that popsup, you can select change fill style.

1. right click Change properties.

2. Click the fill you want to change.

3. right click do it.

4. on the upper right look for FS: Click on it.

5. Click on Bitmap files.

6. Either use one of the bitmap fills in the list, or type new and create another one.

7. I'll use one already there. I clicked on Ice and then clicked on Okay.

8. The pattern is too regular, so before doing anything else I go back to FS:

9. Click on Bitmap fills. Select Ice again, and then uncheck Scaled. Click okay.

Now my background looks like an ice field.

Substitute the bitmap fill you want to change your map to.
  • My islands will select, but the backgorund doesn't want to do the same as those
  • Click on the layer select, the L: on the top row of CC3.

Click on the left most square beside Background so a check mark is on that row and block.

Then Click on Hide All and Freeze All.

If your background, ocean, is on the background layer, it is the only thing left showing. Easier to change its fill style that way.

If it isn't on the background layer, you will have to click off the H, hidden column, for one layer, then click okay to close the L: layer dialog.

continue until you find the ocean.

Do the steps up above in my previous post.

I'm about to head to sleep, so I or someone else can help you on Friday.

Note that some folks are in Europe who post here so they will see your posts around 5-7 hours before I do.
  • To change the picture file used in a fill style in a given open map file,

1. Click on the Fill Style Indicator (the box top right starting with FS:)
    2. Select the Bitmap File tag
    3. Click on the v button next to the current fill style name and scroll down to select the target fill style.
    4. Click on the Find button and browse your own file
    5. You might have to modify the width, height and sample width values (Scaled checked).

For more on custom bitmap fill style, check the Chapel Tutorial especially parts 6-7.
  • Why do the textures (and I made sure I used seamless textures)...look like they're tiling on the map?

Even if it is tilted, the textures are seamless, so they shouldn't have a titled effect
  • Because the details repeat. Seamless means junctions (seams) don't show, but if you have any details or tint change, they will repeat in a grid-like pattern.

The solution if often to scale the texture up (see picture above, raise the Width and Height values).

High resolution CC3 textures are usually 1000x1000 png pictures, so if you want to export at 3000x3000 for example, it's ok if the texture only repeats itself 3 times in every direction.
  • ...this program is about the most difficult thing to work with

If I'm lucky, things will change

All this could've been made so much easier if they decided to use a layer system that's commonly used in Gimp-like programs. Which, I have a feeling they used Gimp and Ink Scape to make this thing
  • You say to use the BitMap file style by goign to the FS box in the top...that's not working for me

Only way I've been able to change the texture is by left clicking the Change Properties, then right click Do-It

it's only been able to change from there, not through the FS choices
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2013
    Posted By: Vata RavenYou say to use the BitMap file style by goign to the FS box in the top...that's not working for me

Only way I've been able to change the texture is by left clicking the Change Properties, then right click Do-It

it's only been able to change from there, not through the FS choices
    Change Properties is the first step. You have to go there first, then go to Fill Styles/FS. Use the steps Joachim and I mention just above your replys in this subject.
  • I figured out the issue, I had this awful background with my coast islands, so it hid the background

Thank you for all the help, sort of getting a handle of the program
  • We all hit the learning curve. The tutorials and asking in here can solve most problems.

I have made about 2000 maps since I first purchased CC2, now using CC3.