City Designer 3: Use/Bug Discussion

2»

Comments

• Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited September 2008
    Posted By: Rob

7. My .FCW files have lost their Icons!
    A. Being Looked into.. this shouldn't have happened but it has.

I have found a solution to this problem: Open a map in CC2 Pro (if you own it). The FCW icons will show up again.
  • I have the CD2 compat update, CD3 and the HQ bitmaps. Tried the registry fix files. No luck: the buttons still look like CD2. So I'm going to try to roll back and reinstall, will report what happens.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The registry fix doesn't fix the menu buttons themselves. You need the Menu Button Fix for that.
  • Oh. Didn't see that the first time through this thread. Anyway, rolling back and reinstalling without the CD2 compatibility step worked.
  • Posted By: AikoInstalled and went to work with CD3, trying out the floorplan (DD3 Bitmap style) option for a building. After I got the floorplan map I tried to add doors, but while aligning to the walls properly, when I place them the turn back to their non-aligned position. If I add a room in the same map with the normal DD3 tools, the doors do work on that. Can't seem to figure out what the difference between the two is.
    If you have "snap to grid" enabled it is easy to see the difference. Why?
    Easy: Since walls created by CD3 are "drawn" without snap to grid. If you have snap to grid enabled you don't place your windows, doors, etc. on them, even if your cursor is over them. If you don't place the symbol on the wall, smart symbol functionality won't align it, etc. And snap to grid functionality moves your windows, etc. after you try to place them, so you won't see the problem if you don't have cursor snap enabled.
    When you draw your room yourself with snap to grid, the walls will follow the grid, and if you place your doors, windows, etc. they will end up placed on the wall, and it makes smart symbols work well, etc.
  • Thanks TheElf,

I'd already tried to spot difference between the walls with inspecting their properties, but the snap/grid aspect slipped my mind and I didn't pay attention to that. Tried it now and indeed works like a breeze.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    edited September 2008
    I've downloaded and Installed CD3 and patch6, which was part of the installation.

I've downloaded the Hi-Res bitmaps for CD3, but I continue to get the following error when attempting to install them:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I've uninstalled CC3 and CD3. Reinstalled both. I've done a "REPAIR" on CD3, with no changes to this. I see that some people have had success in fixing this. What was your final fix?

I'm also getting the fractal poly problem where the poly stays open. Clicking the SPACEBAR during the placing of the nodes is not closing the poly.

I also noticed that CD3 maps that I've saved do not show a preview when you attempt to open them from the File Menu.

On all my maps that used to have icons associated with FCW, the icons have disappeared. I had to reassociate them using the windows interface and specifically selecting the icon they would use.

I was getting a problem where the preview of maps saved with template B was not saving a preview. This seems to have gone away after I saved one that used template A.
  • I am missing the City Wall, Palisade drawing tool described in the Essentials guide PDF. Anyone else?
  • Grimur, the City Wall and Palisade drawing tools appear if you are using the CD3 Bitmap A tools. None of the others have them.
  • The 'repair' runs through and just add's the high quality symbols, the main diffrence is that you'll have the VH ones now avalible where as they where not before.. Which comes in handy with printing.. Of course you'll also be using a lot more room in the \symbols\ directory.

The not installed error appears to happen if you don't run CC3 at least once after installing CD3 before trying to install the upgraded symbols.

The Icons is listed and I agree annoying.

You don't want to hit 'Space' when you place, but between placing each node, it'll cause the fractual amount to change which appeared to fix it for most people, until ralf or the like can comment no idea what is causing it though.. seems I can't see why the fractual command would have been played with unless it was to add the fractual circle?
  • Posted By: RobThe not installed error appears to happen if you don't run CC3 at least once after installing CD3 before trying to install the upgraded symbols.
    No, even uninstalling, reinstalling and starting up CC3 with CD3 installed did not fix it. This was after several uninstall/reinstall and restart ups of CC3, including several reboots to make sure there was no chance of a cached installation. Starting CC3 with CD3 is supposed to "finish" the installation and write the serial to the registry. It is not doing so consistently.
  • edited September 2008
    I've just installed the CD3 file and installed it, but the Floorplan button is not visible. In its place is the old streets option button from CD2.

I have not downloaded the high resolution bitmaps.

I have the latest patch on CC3 and am using WinXP.

EDIT:
    I just installed the new version 6 patch (that I didn't know about) and it fixed the issue. :)
  • Posted By: RobThe Icons is listed and I agree annoying.
    Rob, could you please add the following fix to the top message of this thread. Thanks.
    Posted By: Mogul76
    Posted By: Rob

7. My .FCW files have lost their Icons!
    A. Being Looked into.. this shouldn't have happened but it has.

Open CC2 Pro (if you own it). The FCW icons will show up again.
  • edited September 2008
    Posted By: DkarrGrimur, the City Wall and Palisade drawing tools appear if you are using the CD3 Bitmap A tools. None of the others have them.
    I still don´t have it. It´s gone.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Grimur, try to run a repair install. Will that bring the tools and Essentials guide back?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    #6: I've added a fix for that into the CD3 Menu Fix download.
    #9: Not a bug. A 0-width line or unclosed path never use a fill style, it's always a line style.
    #11: Not a new problem. Symbols need to be defined on the Common sheet to appear immediately in the Symbol Manager. If they're not, simply close and re-open the map, and they should appear.
  • Ran through and updated the list, if Grimur can elaberate on the problem and how to fix It i'll add his one to the list as well I've not seen anything like that on my installations or others yet.. is all
  • edited September 2008
    I found two bugs:

1. At Rob's point 10: When I switch back to Auto High, it's Pixeled again. It appears in all pre-defined templates. :(
    2. City Terrains Fills Earth still doesn't work... :(
    3. When I click Help in the House settings (see picture), it displays help for the old House settings window from CC2.
  • Ok i just found what I think is a bug. When im trying to create a floorplan from a building in the city it doesn't matter what I do i still end up with a picture of the buildings roof. This is regardless of settings in the dialogue box and regardless of how many floors the building has - ahhhhh annoying in the extreme.
  • edited September 2008
    Posted By: RalfGrimur, try to run a repair install. Will that bring the tools and Essentials guide back?
    I did a repair install and the "city wall, palisade" is still gone.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: RogerOk i just found what I think is a bug. When im trying to create a floorplan from a building in the city it doesn't matter what I do i still end up with a picture of the buildings roof. This is regardless of settings in the dialogue box and regardless of how many floors the building has - ahhhhh annoying in the extreme.
    Not able to reproduce this. Please send the map and instructions on how to reproduce it to Ralf.
    We are still working on Help files. Sorry for the delay.
  • edited September 2008
    Posted By: Simon Rogers
    Posted By: RogerOk i just found what I think is a bug. When im trying to create a floorplan from a building in the city it doesn't matter what I do i still end up with a picture of the buildings roof. This is regardless of settings in the dialogue box and regardless of how many floors the building has - ahhhhh annoying in the extreme.
    Not able to reproduce this. Please send the map and instructions on how to reproduce it to Ralf.
    No problem Simon - ive already posted it to a fried is one of the user test group and i believe he has forwarded onto the whole group ! Is this ok ?
  • The sheet effect on my hedges drawing tools doesn´t apply and I still haven´t got the palisade drawing tool. Maybe a fresh CC3 install might help.
    edited September 2008
    Posted By: Roger
    Posted By: Simon Rogers
    No problem Simon - ive already posted it to a fried is one of the user test group and i believe he has forwarded onto the whole group ! Is this ok ?
    Yes, that's fine.
  • I found the palisade drawing tool. It´s just that many of my "previews" have dissapeared and many tools are only found in the basic view (without the thumbnail). Hedges still don´t apply sheet effects, but I guess I need a fresh installation.
  • 18 days later
  • bumping this seems some people still having issues related to items posted in here. And may/may not be able to find it.