First map, Jon Roberts Midgard style: Edit: now with map!

Hi!

I'm new here and quite new to CC3. This is my first map to my fantasy rpg world using Jon Roberts Midgard style. Most names are more or less Swedish but I hope they are readable anyway. I welcome and hope for comments and tips on improvements.

Edit: the map were too big and I can't fix it now, I'll be back later/tomorrow.

Edit: still somewhat big map, but manageable I think. How do I export with high resolution but small?

Comments

• I like the map! I especially like the bays you have -- they appeal to me for some reason I can't explain. I do have two potential improvements you could make.

- Some rivers drain into a lake, but the lakes don't drain into the sea. That's odd: the lakes would grow and grow until they'd find a way to dump their excess water into the sea. A river running from the lakes to the sea would make it more sensible.
    - Pay attention to your labels. Some overlap others (like Kardovien), which makes it impossible to read the smaller label. Also, the letters of some of the labels are unevenly spaced. That's a hard one to get right: the truetype fonts make it so that every render of every different resolution comes out looking slightly different... Still, it pays off to experiment with this, because evenly spaced out labels are so much easier on the eyes.
  • Thanks for feedback!

- Rivers: reasonable. In this world there is a huge underworld with rivers that begin on the surface. My thought was that these lakes could be start of some of these. However, after considering your comment I think that, even so, they would grow or the underworld river has to start exactly at the surface. I might consider the latter option for Spegelsjön (there will be old settlements inside the mountains nearby), but for the other lake I will definitely draw a river to the sea.
    - Labels: good point. I have added them on different layers, sometimes some were hidden and been sloppy correcting it. Also, I will work on the labels spacing.

Your points are greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    This is great!! I love the colors they really come out great. Was this all done in cc3? The blues of the water and the land have a great. Glow to them.
    The edhe of the bottom grass lands where they meet the mountains are very sharp, near Ranstad. Also it looks like the glow on the big titles is the same as on the smaller words and is kind of distracting. You may want to place them on different sheets so you can have different effects. (But im looking at the map on my cell phone so this might not be an issue on a full screen.
    Great job
    KenG
  • Hi again!

I have updated it. Added rivers from the lakes (and actually put them on the Lake sheet, they didn't have any effects before). One of them "ends" by going to the underworld. The label beneath Kardovien was actually erraneous. CC3 reprinted the "Svarta borgen" label beneath it. I was not able to correct it so I let it be and then forgot about it. Now it worked when I redid it.

@KenG: it is actually a forest you see I think :) I will probably add some pine tree symbols to make it easier to distinguish. Do you mean its better to have a bigger glow around big titles?
  • Sorry forgot to answer: yes its done only in CC3.
  • Looks great man, you could give the forest on the southern shore a name too, that would look a little better I think. Or you could add some more tree symbols to make it look less large
  • I like this map.
    I always find it difficult to do the mountains the right way.
    Think you managed that part very well.

And really like your idea of underground rivers.
  • Thank you!

@Moskva: I'm going to give names to many more, just have to come up with them. But you're right that that is a particular important thing to name due to its size.

@Henrie61: the underground river actually provides an entrance for rpg adventurers to the underworld. Dangerous of course :)

If you have the time, look at the city I put up in another new discussion. Its the city Greneborg, located on the south coast of Spegelsjön.