Map of Lugan

The previous time my players were in Lugan, I glossed over it: they stayed in an inn, and the next morning packed their stuff to travel onwards to the east. However, now they've gotten it into their heads to assist in a murder investigation in Lugan, so I need much more detail.
But I don't fancy drawing out every individual house: too much work! A general layout of the city is sufficient: where are all the shops? Where is the poor neighbourhood? Where do the rich people live, and where do the really rich people live? Only the central square needed a semi-detailed look, because it's the focal point for the whole city.
So I used the Modern City style and drew the main streets and marked the most important areas. I then copied the market square to the space on the left and zoomed in. I then used that to re-draw the shape, because the background got zoomed in as well, and I didn't like the resulting thick black outline. Then I placed the various building (to scale!) in the square.

Looking at the result, it's kinda weird that I have the overview map on the right and the detail map on the left. I realise I've done the same with my previous Library of Crevan map. I guess that's a signature weirdness of my maps. ;)

What do you guys think? Is there something I could do to further enhance the map?

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I like more detail in my maps, but that's a personal preference — and often a necessity because my players tend to make the darndest decisions.

I like the overview/detail approach, though I'm curious what the non-color-coded portions of the overview map are. I take it the overview map only shows the main, high-traffic streets? I would probably, at least, map the location of the inn where the PCs stayed last time.

Otherwise, if the map fits your purpose, I think it's fine. The primary reason for mapping something is to support your needs, right?

One other suggestion. Since your adventure is a mystery, you might want to indicate doors and windows for the buildings in the Market Square so you know how people can get in and out, and what can be viewed from which building. My own players have demonstrated a tendency to use windows for entrance and egress, as well as taking in a view.

By the way,did you use Cartographer's Annual style for the map?

~Dogtag
  • Posted By: DogtagPersonally, I like more detail in my maps, but that's a personal preference — and often a necessity because my players tend to make the darndest decisions.
    For me, that's exactly a reason not to create too much detail in the maps! For instance, last session one of my players decided that he had a rich, windowed aunt living in Lugan and he wanted to visit her. This map allows me to point somewhere in the rich neighbourhood and say: "OK, that's over here." If I had added too much detail, I would not have been able to improvise like that.
    This map allows me to decide where any given thing the players may look for, will be. The criminal headquarters of the city will be deep within the slums, in the cellar of a bar somewhere. Do I need to know where that is exactly? No, only when that becomes an issue -- and I can push that decision forward until that time. That allows for greater flexibility!
    I'm curious what the non-color-coded portions of the overview map are.
    Those are 'normal' middle-class neighbourhoods. Mostly residential, with a few shops for everyday needs here and there.
    One other suggestion. Since your adventure is a mystery, you might want to indicate doors and windows for the buildings in the Market Square so you know how people can get in and out, and what can be viewed from which building. My own players have demonstrated a tendency to use windows for entrance and egress, as well as taking in a view.
    Actually, there's not much of an adventure in the murder investigations. It's actually part of a larger plot, and the players won't be able to find the murderer just yet.
    If the layout of the building in the market square becomes an issue, I will do full Dungeon Designer maps of them, including doors and windows. For now, I can get away with fewer details. Making maps is fun, but also a lot of work, and I need to prepare for the coming adventure!
    By the way,did you use Cartographer's Annual style for the map?
    Yes, I used the 2007 September Modern City style.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited July 2013
    Sweet, thanks for filling me in. Good luck with your adventure, it sounds like fun! image

~Dogtag
  • I quite like this kind of city maps!
    Posted By: Fub
    I'm curious what the non-color-coded portions of the overview map are.
    Those are 'normal' middle-class neighbourhoods. Mostly residential, with a few shops for everyday needs here and there.
    That makes sense too, but IMHO a different fill would be nice for these parts. The way it is, the map looks unfinished.
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    Great idea of doing a city map like this.
    Enough detail to tell the story and if more is needed you could always make a full map.

Think I am going to borrow this idea.