Recommendations for 19x27 inch professional poster prints

Hello,

I have completed a map, and now want to send it in and have it printed to a 19x27 inch poster. They want the "Canvas size" to be 19.125 x 27.125 and HAS to be exactly that plus at least 300 DPI. What output options do I have to do this? I did format the map to 19x27 inches when I created it. I did this by making the grid 5' squares and then just calculated the total size (in feet) by using that number. Please help, I need to get this sent off to the printer...

Comments

• Hey,

the people doing the printing often need the material a bit larger than the original artwork because they print it on a piece of paper which is a bit larger and then cut off the edges. During this process, the cut might not be 100% exactly at the edges of the artwork and in order to avoid unwanted white edges, you should make a bigger canvas size with a bigger border, as you described. The DPI (dots per inches) means the resolution of the bitmap file you need to send them - you should use a file format using lossless compression, like TIFF or PNG for best quality.

So, what I would do is the following (but I guess there is also a way of doing this entirely in CC):
    (a) Export the map in 19x27 inches as a TIFF file with 300DPI. This means the pixel size needs to be 5700x8100 pixels (19*300 by 27*300).
    (b) Open the resulting file in an image editor like GIMP and enlarge the canvas size to 5738x8138, keeping the original map centered.
    (c) Fill the resulting border around the map with the same color as the map border.

This will create a thicker border than you originally had, but when cut, there will be no color bleed at the edges. Also, I realize that the bitmap image will be pretty large, but printers simply need the resolution for a good print.

Nils
  • Nils,

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. I will try doing that by printing to a PDF writer that can also do TIFF files. I'll see how it goes. I actually created the map to be 20x28 in order to give me .5 inches all around. But every time I print to Bullzip, set it to a TIFF file at the prescribed resolution, it decides not to center the picture and gives me a couple inches of white and it cuts off an inch on the bottom of the picture.

Unfortunately saving as a TIFF file is not possible in CC3 (lord knows why)...

What is my next best option? PNG, BMP or JPEG?
  • Hi,

I guess PNG is the best option out of the three (I'm not sitting in front of CC right now, so I can't see for myself). I'm not sure printing to PDF/TIFF is an option, but your printer should know about that. I would use CC's built-in export command because you can define the exported area (box or total map) and resolution quite well.

Nils
  • 11 days later
  • edited March 2013
    Funny you should mention Bullzip (a freeware .pdf printer)... I came searching the forums because Bullzip keeps shrinking my battle tiles by just enough to make them not very useful. (I played with the settings, I did.) After reading everything I could find about printing, I am going to try installing CutePDF, which seems to be the tried and tested PDF printer for CC. Not sure if that is relevant to your issue.

I am simply looking to PDF my battle tiles and maps so I can send them off to FedExKinkos or Staples or whomever will cheaply print them in color on cardstock. If anyone has any thoughts on a print shop, internet or otherwise, would be thankful to hear about it. (US, mid-atlantic)

CutePDF rendered the PDF to scale, as desired. So I believe that Bullzip is adjusting the scale. I checked my settings twice in both CC and BZ, two different maps. I think I have had other issues with BZ, but did not realize that it was the source of my frustration!