REINOS IMORTAIS - Small City

2»

Comments

• Just make sure you put towers and walls on the correct sheet.
  • On the red one the width (propriets) is set to 4 on the other to 0.
    aaa.JPG 60.3K
  • Posted By: MoskvaJust make sure you put towers and walls on the correct sheet.
    As long as I can tell they are. It was the first thing that I looked. But as this is my first serious atempt to do a city, I am really not very familiar with the tools.
  • I remember running into a similar problem while I did my first city. Just destroy the Castle.

Draw it again, put on effects and check sheets if all is fine.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Mateus090985This is what I get trying the tutorial on page 280 of Tome of Ultimate Mapping...
    Unfortunately, there is a minor error in that section. The width listed as 8 (the outline) should be 0, and the width listed as 0 (the main entity) should be 8 (basically swap the widths)
  • Thank you Monsen. In a try and error aproach I had discovered it =).
  • Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited March 2013
    Some advance. Want to hear waht you guys think. Next step is try to do all secondary streets and finish the small islands.
  • Here is the map (I am having a big dificult to use the street tool...)
  • Looks like this will be a massive city and it looks great ! 7 gatehouses to enter the castle on the island seems a bit overkill.
  • Oh! The gatehouses in wood were a solution thast I found for a nicier transition beteween road and bridge. Think on them more like a door tham a gatehouse. The real ones are the stone.

But you have any suggestion for how I can do a nice transition beteween road/bridge?
  • edited March 2013
    Posted By: Mateus090985Oh! The gatehouses in wood were a solution thast I found for a nicier transition beteween road and bridge. Think on them more like a door tham a gatehouse. The real ones are the stone.

But you have any suggestion for how I can do a nice transition beteween road/bridge?
    Add the bridge parts to a seperate sheet and you can edge fade. Maybe some other effects work better though
  • They already are on diferent sheets with diferent effects but I was still not satisficed with results. But I will see if I can come with some solution. Thank you.
  • Well remember to not worry about details in the beginning while doing a city map. Once you start placing houses you wont even see the difference.
  • Re: Road and Bridge transition - might want to put the road on top of the bridge sheet and give the road an edge-fade (since we would assume that bridge is a solid wooden/stone structure and the road is packed in dirt that might slightly cover the edges of the bridge.) But agree with Moskva that details should wait until you get the city planned out.

Re: Gatehouses - I also think it looks a bit like overkill (even if they are just doors) - plus with open docks all over the place, why would anyone bother using the doors on the small islands? Would seem to me that a city like this would concentrate on having a secure outer wall on the main island and little forts in the surrounding areas to respond to threats as they emerge. Perhaps even a naval fort of some kind to patrol the harbors.

Also - the castle on the northern hill - maybe the walls should be adjusted to work around the elevation lines. I think it would make for an interesting design and be more "realistic" (if that even is a concern in the fantasy world).

Are you planning on creating another walled city/area to the north west of the island? Seems like a prime spot.

Just some suggestions - overall a really really cool map in the works here and I look forward to seeing where it goes.
  • Thank you all for all good suggestions! This project is giving me a lot of headache, so I will fisrt finish my other world map, and tehn, come back to this one with more energy.