New User question - grid spacing

Howdy all,
I can't seem to find information which explains what the actual units are when setting grid spacing for maps. I see a default value of 50.00000 but I don't know what that actually equates to real space on a printed piece of paper. Could someone point me to a good resource for learning this or tell me the answer, please?

Thanks!
--Eryk

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2013
    All measurements in CC3 are in map units. The definition of a map unit varies, and depends on the type of map you are making, but generally, for overland maps, one map unit equals 1 mile, and for city/floorplan maps, one map unit equals one foot (for metric maps, the equivalents are 1km and 1m).

The size on paper depends on what scale you choose to print in, so that can be anything. For example, if you are making a battle map for miniatures, one of the more common setups is that each square measures 1 inch on paper, and represents 5 feet in the map. To set this correctly up in CC#, it means that you set up the grid with a distance of 5 map units ( = 5 foot ), and when printing, you print to a scale of 5' = 1".

Always remember that when you work in CC3, you work with real world units (actual distances), and not paper distances. The paper distance is only a factor when you print, otherwise, always use the actual distance.
  • Thank you very much for this detailed reply Monsen. This has helped me a bunch. :)