Hiding the grid in non dungeon part of map?

Hello. I've been sinking my teeth into DD3 for the last couple of weeks and feel pretty happy with my progress. One thing I'm battling with just now is how to hide the grid on portions of a map where the grid does not need to be. Hopefully I have just correctly inserted a cropped image of part of the dungeon that I'm making (well copying from a published adventure really).

I would like the grid to be showing in the rooms, corridors etc, but I think seeing the grid on the white surrounds is a bit annoying. I'm guessing, to hide the grid on those areas I should be using the "Bring in front of" or "Send behind" tools, but for the life of me, I cant get my head around how to use them correctly. The idea in my head is to try to cover the grid lines with the background, but of course still have all the dungeon sitting above everything.

Bugger, my non-existant html knowledge is shining through. Cant figure out how to insert a picture, even after reading the post on how to do it! I'll attach it instead, but picture isn't actually that important. I guess my key query of "can parts of the grid be hidden?" can be asked with out a picture.

Am I on the right track or completely lost??

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Hi Mappy!

The secret lies in the use of sheets. If you look at the list of sheets, imagine them to be like transparent film which you can paint on and stack one on the other. The sheet on top in the list is in fact the bottom one in the stack, and the others are stacked in the order of appearance. Therefore, an object on a lower sheet (higher in the list) will always be covered by an object on a higher sheet (lower in the list). The "Bring in front of" tools always work only on the active sheet, that is, if you apply this to objects on the "symbols" sheet, for example, only the order of these objects within that sheet will be affected. You could try moving the "Grid" sheet to another place in the list to see the effect.

The solution in your case, I guess, would be to add a new sheet which is on top of (lower in the list than) the sheet which contains the grid. Anything you put on that new sheet (for example, white polygons covering the white surroundings) will then cover the grid. This simple solution will of course also cover the wall shadows, but I think you can see where this is getting at.

Another solution could be to manually edit the grid on the respective sheet and delete the lines that are not needed.

Nils
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If you own the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, a couple of techniques for doing this is described there.

But the basics is as Nils says, sheet order. To hide the grid efficiently, create a new multipoly which is made up from your border and your corridors (This should create a multipoly which has holes where you corridors/rooms are, and otherwise solid, and place this on top of the grid (using sheets). This will cover up the offending grid perfectly.

Another method is to not use the grid overlay function at all, but draw polygons with the "Square Grid" fill style instead (from the symbol fills tab). This allows you to create polygons of any shape with a grid filling.
  • Great stuff thanks guys. Yup, I did buy the Tomb of Ultimate Mapping, but guess I have not got to that bit yet. My initial thoughts were to do with sheets, but did not think about creating a new sheet with white multipoly. Cheers!
  • I usually move the GRID sheet so that it is just above (or below in the sheet window) the Floor, that way the grid only covers the floor.
    Posted By: MappyYup, I did buy the Tomb of Ultimate Mapping, but guess I have not got to that bit yet.
    One method is detailed in the grid tutorial for dungeons, starting on page 211. The other method, using a multipoly to hide it is described in the Wall Shadows tutorial on page 223. At that point the tutorial does it to hide the outside shadows, but it will also hide the outside grid at the same time, providing the multipoly ends up on a sheet later in the sheet order than the grids sheet.
  • edited February 2013
    Nearly got my head around this. I think i'm going to have to print off most of the Tomb manual. Tricky to read a PDF and use CC3 at same time. Now that I have started messing around with grids, i'm getting program crashes when I try to use the List command on the grid. Searching the forum, I see this was an issue for people back in 2011. Should this have been resolved with a patch?
    Guaranteed crash regime:
    Create a new dungeon using "DD3 dungeon" style (map size does not seem to matter, big or small it can still crash and have also tried DD Pro style)
    Draw Menu
    ----> Hex or Square Overlay
    ---->Square Grid, no labelling, grid size 5
    Layers
    ----> Thaw Hex/Square grid layer
    Type "list"
    Select grid by left clicking
    Right click
    ---> Do it

Program crashes.

After doing some searches, of other peoples experiences (back in 2011), If I temporarily unlock the grid, I can select individual lines of the grid with the list commmand, but when its all grouped together, it crashes.
    I can still move it to different layers or sheets and change it's properties with "change properties button" so no big drama, but maybe worth mentioning.

Thanks for the help and advice.
    Righto, back to trying to become a grid master!
  • 20 days later
  • Posted By: Monsen

Another method is to not use the grid overlay function at all, but draw polygons with the "Square Grid" fill style instead (from the symbol fills tab). This allows you to create polygons of any shape with a grid filling.
    I do not get this. I choose properties of the polygon and in fill settings I do not see a 5x5 foot grid there. Where is this?
    JSM
    If you are using a standard dungeon map, there is no 5' grid fill, only 10'. To create a 5' grid, simply enter the fill style dialog and change the scaling of the 10' one. If you are not using a standard DD3 dungeon map, that fill style might not be available at all. If so, simplest option is to create a new DD3 map, enter the fill style, check the settings of the Square Grid fill style, then create an identical copy in your map.
  • Yeah I am in cosmo and trying to grid just the floor of the ship. My head is spinning.
  • I've used the grid fill once before (http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3196&page=1#Item_9) and I found it to be a little cumbersome personally.

What I do on most of my maps now is to manipulate the sheet order and to use multipoly alot to only have the grid show up on the floor. (http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3423&page=1#Item_8) In this case, rather than have a square background that sits beneath my floor sheet (and thus is exposed to the grid), I multipoly'd together the shapes of the floor and map border to create a background that can sit above the floor and grid. (Not sure If I'm making sense here).