Profantasy CC3 upgrade

Are there any plans to upgrade the CC engine to 64 bit?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    As far as I know, there is no 64-bit version of the underlying CAD engine (FastCAD) yet. Until that is available, making a 64-bit version of CC3 is impossible. (And replacing FastCAD with another engine is NOT something which can be easily done)
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    edited February 2013
    It would be interesting to get some news around CC3+. Simon hinted around Christmas that we would get some info in the blog, but I haven't seen anything yet. Does anyone know of any time schedule for release?
  • edited February 2013
    I sent an email to the makers of FastCAD asking if they were developing a 64-bit version and if so when they expected to release it. So far, no response.

Edit: I received a response. The 64-bit version of FastCAD is expected to ship this summer.
  • 1 month later
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    How cool is that, thanks, I know in the Blog that the Profantasy guys said they were going to a meeting with FastCAD.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sounds great that fastcad 64-bit is coming. Do note that as far as I know, this is version 8 of fastcad that arrives as 64-bit, while CC3 runs on version 6 (For performance reasons), so it isn't as simple as just swapping it out, but it does mean that it will now be possible to make a 64-bit version of CC3 (CC4?) in the future. Exactly when can only ProFantasy themselves answer.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Note that I'm not a ProFantasy employee.
    I would think that the big thing for the next major CC upgrade is all of the custom code that makes it CC3 (filters, tools, etc.) rather than the code FastCAD engine. If I understand correctly, that code relies on a whole lot of assembly-level code that just wouldn't port well to a 64-bit environment without a rewrite of big chunks.
    Maintaining both a 32-bit and 64-bit code version can be very intensive in terms of programmer time and I have this suspicion that their time may be better spent in the short term by continuing to focus on things like the annual and keeping upgrades coming.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    We won't be upgrading to 64 bit for a while. The next upgrade should last us another five years, I imagine. I'll give news when I am able.
  • 7 years later
  • Close to 8 years from last comment on this topic. Are there any plans currently on the roadmap to proceed with 64bit version? I'd buy it.

seycyrus