Creating a Trail in a Battle Maps (Ralf's Example)

I'm creating tiles for battle maps and I need to create a trail similar looking to the one created by Ralf that is shown in the Tome of Ultimate mapping in the section on battle maps in the very beginning of the section. I've searched the forum because I know I've seen the discussion regarding that trail and how it's made but can't find it. Can anyone provide the link to that discussion and/or provide good tips on how they've made their roads for battle maps\DD3?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The basics behind these trails are using the transparent dirt fills from DD3 for the trail. Because of their build-in partial transparency they mix in with the background behind them, creating holes and jagged edges. A little edge fade, inner on them makes them blend in very well. The tracks are just lines with blur and glow, and the water puddles use edge fade, inner.

The map itself is available in the september issue of the 2008 annual.
  • Thanks! It's interesting because I do have that annual and looked at the map but because I was looking at the whole map without the sheet effects on I didn't realize it. (Smacks forehead).