Battlemats for Keep on the Shadowfell (cc3/dd3/csuac)

Doh. This won't let me use bbcode.

Comments

• Well, if I can figure out how to post images, I will.
  • So neither attaching, or putting the link in actually puts an image in the post (nor does embedding it in [IMG] tags. The Documentation link goes to a dev doc. Leave it to Profantasy to use a forum that works completely different than the rest of the world... /rolleyes
  • edited August 2008
    put your link inside html tags, and select the "Format comments as: Html" option below.

The correct Html is:

<a href="http://www.my-link-goes-here.com/whatever.jpg">this is the text that will appear highlights</a>

I realize learning new things can be difficult, but this is the internet so you should be prepared to do so once in awhile. :P
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2008
    Also, if you attach images less than 800px wide, they will automatically show up in your post. Anything above that shows only the file name (Normally, it should resize larger images, but it appears to be a problem here.)

Note that I edited your post above to show the image.
  • edited August 2008
    I like the way it looks like its sitting on grid paper. Its a very clean feel to it.
  • really nice battlemap.. the one i can see, makes me want to go get some industral printing done hehe..
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    A very nice and playable map, loydb *applauds*.

I like the little details on the floor i.e. the blood stains. Good choice of textures.

I'd change two simple things, though: (1) Try to turn the directional wall shadow into a regular wall shadow. Perhaps a simple glow is enough. A directional wall shadow does not make sense in a dungeon-type environment unless the dungeon doesn't have a roof. (2) Move the four pillars to the same sheet as the walls or give them the same sheet effects. This will give them the same sense of height.
  • edited September 2008
    Mogul - The style evolved some as I created the set as far as wall shadows goes. Good call on the pillars, I missed those. I'm not sure I'm going back and changing anything, but it will be taken into account when I start the next one.

Zip file with all high-res (120 dpi) versions

• Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Great maps. How long did they take you, do you estimate?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
  • edited August 2008
    Well, it was my "get off my ass and learn CC3/DD3" project, so the first map took more than 5 hours. Area 8 took around 15 minutes. All in all, they averaged 45 mins to an hour. I did a few of them on a plane, and the rest spread out over a week or so, a couple hours a day.

I still wish there was a fast and easy way to flag a bunch of symbols across multiple catalogs and have a custom catalog containing them generated automatically. I'm going to do it manually before I start working on the third module (NeonKnight is doing H2), as I spent a good 10-15% of my time symbol hunting. The fact that there's no "all.fsc" catalog for the DD3 color set is annoying as well.

I've started my "feature requests and things I wish worked differently" document. After I've spent some more time with the programs, I'll post it :)
  • now you mention it i just noticed that DD3 color doesn't have a all.fsc lol.. not that hard to make though if i'm not wrong *quickly goes and tries something*..

yeap that works...
    ok to make a all catalog do this:

1. File - New - Symbol Catalog
    2. choose what ever you want here.. i just went decide myself dungeon
    3. Go to Draw - Insert File - Select the first catalog you want to bring in hit ok
    it should come up with XX symbols imported into current drawing
    4. do this for all the catalogs you want in.
    5. Check your symbol manager you should have all the symbols in there.
    6. Save the catalog out.

Bang you have a nice all.fsc or what ever you use most commonly :-)

The other thing is, if your using the same symbols from map to map....
    Save out the symbol catalog from symbol manager, merge the catalogs with the symbols your using over and over and bang you have a nice new symbol catalog with the most used ones.

- Rob
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    Oh... That was just a detail, loydb. In fact, I really like your mapping style. It's simple, consistent... and very different from my own style ;-) Very impressive work indeed!
  • As mentioned, I am doing the maps for H2: Thunderspire Labyrinth, and may also assist on H3 if I finish before LoydB grinds through it ;)

My maps are located here: http://forum.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2817

And I give permission to any to use them or post them here cause I'm too lazy ;)
  • Rob, thanks a ton for the catalog tips! That will save me a raft of time.

Neon - I'm actually a bit scared to start on H3 right now, considering that I got a little obsessed about finishing H1, and I have a ton of programming I should be doing instead :) If you get to them first, jump on it!

I'm torn as to which wall shadow type I like best. The one I used for the second level works better as far as not obscuring detail, but I like the way the first batch make it look like the dungeon is sitting on a sheet of paper in 3D.
  • loydb: The link to zip file (Zip file with all high-res (120 dpi) versions) doesn't work. :( Could you reupload it, please?
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    A symbol catalog scratch file might be useful. If you could export --> append symbol references as opposed to just export them, it could be useful.
  • ShadoWWW - Doh, typo, fixed above, and here's the link again.

Zip file with all high-res (120 dpi) versions

Simon -

A button that popped up "recently used symbols" as a dynamically generated catalog would be great, with "recently" being configurable based on # of days back to keep. Add in the ability to save the collection as a named catalog at any time (and for bonus points, a checkbox that, when checked, would create a toolbar button for the new catalog).

loyd
  • 29 days later
  • Very nice maps!

Note that on Area 1-5, north should be to the "left".

Great job on the maps though!
  • 10 years later
  • Another great series of maps from 2008,that I just had to bring to the attention of those posting in 2018.
  • 18 days later
  • I was wondering how the hell this was so close to the top :)