REINOS IMORTAIS - World Map

13»

Comments

• Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    This map is getter better every time I see it.
  • 17 days later
  • Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited June 2013
    A lot more work done. To see it proporly go to the bigger image in the link bellow. I am still playing with colours for the contorus, but the cultural boundaries are getting done;

EDIT: Old version
  • More work done. Here I show a version if the cultural borders proeminent. The final effect and the colours are still a work in progress.

Hieher resolution here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37717003/REINOS IMORTAIS - EURION - 35 000 X 17 500 2.1.PNG
    A.jpg 494.6K
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    That looks really good. I like the colors, but I especially like how some places are a different color than I'd expect, such as the blue islands off the west-northwest edge of Ennan.

Bravo on this massive project.
    ~Dogtag
  • Thank you. It is a very slow work... I plan to do two versions. One with the cultural borders and one without it.
  • God, what a lovely map. I think I can see the GURPS GM shining through. Great attention to detail. Love the font, too. Can you share the name?

For the final effects I would suggest some generous Edge Fade, Inner to let the vegetation shine through better, but you probably have planned something for that already.
  • Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited June 2013
    The fonts are RENNY HYBRID and RURITANIA. My first intention to the map was to only trace the frontiers, but after a lot of tryes I gave it up. I will do a version without the frontiers and another in the style above. Only the colours I am still testing. The ones that are on the map were choosen only for better visualization.
  • 3 months later
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
  • Speechless...
    Can't even decide which one is the most extraordinaire!
  • The borders look fine for you guys? I am really struggling with myself to come with a good effect and a good colour selection for tehm. My best solution is to made two versions. One with out borders and one with the borders well marked.

Oh, ..., and the final three continental regions are giving me headaches... The fractal is not very well done there and is almost impossible to trace it... Even after trying to remove nodes and delete some by hand...
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    edited September 2013
    First of all let me say that I'm totally floored by this map. This is simply a thing of beauty. The black color for the water is initially jarring, but it contrasts so well with the landscape that it looks totally awesome. I love the use of color to denote the elevations and it gives the map a sense of veracity. Almost as if this was being taken from orbit and being parsed on a "radar" monitor.

The lettering is very impressive. The majestic lettering for the title, and the almost subdued and simple lettering for locations makes it very interesting. It gives the map a "let's go explore here" kind of tone that really grabs me.

Your use of arrow lines for the currents is very good, and something not usually seen in maps, so it is a very welcome addition. It reminds me of maps from National Geographic showing our world's ocean currents. The only thing I'd suggest here is to separate the lines a bit more so the map does not look as crowded and the arrows don't "seem" to end point to tail. Specially in areas where the water currents would cross narrow straits. Look at this one to see what I mean. http://education.nationalgeographic.com/media/photos/000/303/30302.jpg

The "political" borders are as impressive as the rest of the map. I really like the contrast in most of your "countries". The only ones that seem to draw me out of the map are the colors used for Svidne and Vizapur. The colors are very similar. They make me unsure if they represent the same color though there seems to be a slight difference between them. If they are meant to be the same color then no harm, no foul. But if they are supposed to be different they seem too alike in tone. Change one or the other for contrast.

Very well done. This map makes me want to go explore the lands.
  • I am really happy with all your comments Dkarr. The colours of Svidne and Vizapur are the same. As easch continent finished haviong 6 cultural regions each, I decided to use only 6 colours to the hole thing. When trying to use one colour for each region I came out with not very good results.

I see your point about the arrows used for the currents. I will se if I can change it without much trouble. If it is easy I will improve it, if not, I will maintain as I was considering it a finished feature of the map.
  • DkarrDkarr Traveler
    edited September 2013
    Posted By: Mateus090985I am really happy with all your comments Dkarr. The colours of Svidne and Vizapur are the same. As easch continent finished haviong 6 cultural regions each, I decided to use only 6 colours to the hole thing. When trying to use one colour for each region I came out with not very good results.

I see your point about the arrows used for the currents. I will se if I can change it without much trouble. If it is easy I will improve it, if not, I will maintain as I was considering it a finished feature of the map.
    Please don't make any changes on my account. Like I said, I think this map is beautiful. If any of the rework is even remotely trouble leave it as is. I think this is a magnificent example of what can be done with CC3.

Kudos, very well done!

P.S. I just remembered something that I would add is a scale bar of some sort. I know you have the base circumference on the legend but a scale bar would give a sense of, well... scale.
  • 10 months later
  • Very nice might I ask how you did get those nice shapes? I can't get similar results in FT .... its handpainted or what?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I'm pretty sure these are drawn by hand, possibly with the help of the fractal function.
  • 1 month later
  • Posted By: NaimaVery nice might I ask how you did get those nice shapes? I can't get similar results in FT .... its handpainted or what?
    Yes, I did it manually and them used a bit of fractalization. It was a huge work, but I loved he end result.
  • 17 days later
  • My roommate just knocked on the door to ask me why I just yelled. I had to explain that as soon as I saw those finished maps I shouted "Holy S#*t! That's awesome!" and then he saw it and yelled "WOW!"

Immediate gut reaction. It's super impressive and I really like the very non-traditional black oceans, the currents, the fonts, and of course, the Mercator-esque political borders. All things that are good.