Excessive Tool Editing Yields Grid-like or Squarish Artifacts

I've learned to use almost all of the tools in FT Pro (same as FT3?) so I decided now was the time to make my FaceBook page title pic.

So I load up a random world with the right features. However, some areas were not high enough and I wanted a high desert plateau in certain areas. I didn't want the changes to look bad so I set the height change of the raise tool to maybe only 150 (range was +/- 30,000) and used repeated strokes with the "large" tool size option to raise it up slowly.

By the time I got it to the height I wanted it had turned into a grid pattern of square artifacts and was definitely something I didn't want in my terrain. When I binarized a selection around them the selection line followed the edges of the little squares.

So I'm guessing that this is the underlying pixels showing through a bit? Or rather affecting the way FT breaks down fractal data into multiple smaller fractal patterns and the smallest it can do is a pyramid shape which tranlates into a square looking artifact on a top down map? Just a guess on my part.

Is there a way to get rid of this or do I just have to avoid it in the first place? I'd like to attempt saving this map by getting rid of them. I have not tried it yet as I just thought of it but what if I were to select the area, use the mountain tool and replace it with a plateau?