Using only a portion of the map

I'm currently playing a PbP game online (RPOL.net), and I'm the GM. There's a section where you can add maps (GIF, JPG or PNG format), for the players to use as reference.

I had previously created a world with several continents, islands etc.

My problem is, I don't want to use the entire world map, because 1st, it's so large that players couldn't see it all anyways and secondly, the area that they are operating in, is only a very small portion of it.

As an example, the players are in a small coastal town, and I just need that town and the immediate surrounding 200 miles, including the sea area.

my question is, how can I take a small area of the map and be able to use it?

I have tried the copy command, but, I always end up with basically the entire continent on which the town sits. I'm frustrated. I don't want to have to rework an entirely new map just so I can see a smaller portion of the world I have already created....Agggghhh.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Do you own the August issue of the 2012 Annual (http://sub.profantasy.com/2012/august12.html)? That let's you cut portions of your map. An other option is to cut your map in an other program (Photoshop for instance), but I assume that'll be too small to use.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    CC3 operates on entities, not pixels, so you cannot just copy parts of an entity with the copy command. To extract an area of your map to a new map so that you can add more detail, there are three basic ways. Obviously, if you don't need more detail, but just an image of the ares, simply use the rectangular section export option to export an image of just the desired area.

- Use the copy to clipboard command, copy the relevant entities to a new map, then use the cut and break commands to remove the parts of the entities you no longer need. You can also use the fractal command to add additional details to coast lines and such. Check out the manual for some pointers on doing this (The Editing chapter). If you have the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, it goes into greater detail regarding this.
    - Type CUTMENUON on the CC3 command line, then restart CC3. This will enable a new menu in CC3 that contains tools for automatically cutting out parts of the map instead of using it manually. Note that these tools are undocumented and unsupported, and are not enabled by default because they don't work correctly with all types of entities, but usually they'll get the job done just fine. You may need to manually close some polygons after using this tool to get the fill to appear again.
    - Use the rectangular section image export to export just the desired part of the map to an image, then start a new map, insert this image, and use it as reference for tracing over.
  • Posted By: LeviathusDo you own the August issue of the 2012 Annual (http://sub.profantasy.com/2012/august12.html)? That let's you cut portions of your map. An other option is to cut your map in an other program (Photoshop for instance), but I assume that'll be too small to use.
    I have all the annuals except 2013 (buying soon) but I'm not sure where to find any special info/help from it. Does it update the manual or provide a tutorial somewhere? Sorry for being an idiot at this.

Again thanks for the help.
  • Well there is a tutorial included with that annual, have you tried that out yet? Other than that, I can't really help you further, Monsen wrote down a suggestion though, see if that works. Good luck!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Check the folder /your program folder/CC3/Annual/Issue 68 - Cutting Maps/. There should be a pdf file called "CA68 Mapping Tutorial - Cutting Maps.pdf". It will take you through using the cut command.
  • Thanks much, I've figured out what I need, based upon your guys comments.

Rock and Roll!

Cheers,