city designer Polyfill out side of map

Newbe.........OK I am making a city, I chose to start with a blue background as most of the map is water, and then add the land mass, when I click the add land mass button, I get "no matching draw tool". I tired doing it with smooth polly but it goes out side my map, which for some reason has no border.

How do I use landmass tools in a city map? If you can

How do I keep polyfills from going out side my map? I thought that redraw would fix this like it does with overland but it does not.

How would be the best way to get this swampy lake river town map started?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2013
    Posted By: nogardwhen I click the add land mass button, I get "no matching draw tool"
    This is quite normal, since the city map doesn't have any drawing tools defined that matches the filter set by the landmass button.
    Posted By: nogardI tired doing it with smooth polly but it goes out side my map
    The standard CC3 tools doesn't have a restrict to border option like the drawing tools have. To make it follow the border of your map, you need to manually make it follow the map border. Since you are using a smooth poly, you may need to construct it using two parts, then join them to one polygon. The attach modfiers are your firends here.
    Posted By: nogardwhich for some reason has no border.
    The map border in CC3 is just a decorative entity to frame the desired drawing size. Maps in CC3 are really not bounded in size. The drawing tools have special code that forces them to stay inside the area defined by your map border entities, but in reality, the white areas outside the map is just as much part of your legal drawing space as the area insides. The basic tools does not adhere to any borders, and allows you to draw both outside and inside your defined map area.
    Posted By: nogardHow do I use landmass tools in a city map?
    I would recommend creating a new drawing tool for this. This is done by first importing the desired fill style into the map (Tools --> Import bitmap fill styles [Use the fill style dialog in an overland map to identify the path of the fill style you wish to use]), then define a new drawing tool that uses this fill style.
    Posted By: nogardHow do I keep polyfills from going out side my map? I thought that redraw would fix this like it does with overland but it does not.
    Either draw your polygons so that they adhere to the map border exactly (as mentioned earlier, the drawing tools does this automatically [controlled by a setting in each individual tool], but the basic drawing commands does not. The other option is to use a white screen polygon just outside the map border to cover up anything that goes beyond the border. Most maps have such a screen already (on the SCREEN sheet), but if there isn't one, or if it is too small, you can draw one yourself. The presence of such a screen polygon is why elements outside the map border disappears after a redraw. If there is no such screen, you won't get this behaviour either.
    Posted By: nogardHow would be the best way to get this swampy lake river town map started?
    Start with a standard CD3 city map, import the fill styles you need from for example DD3 and CC3, then define drawing tools to use these fill styles in your map.