Zoomed map on FGII

Hello.

I'm fairly new at CC3. I cannot figure out how to keep the map sharp after exporting it to Fantasy Grounds II.

If you reference the attachment, the left side is how it looks in CC3, the right side is how the same map looks in FGII. Both are zoomed in from a larger map.

Comments

• Double-check the resolution you're saving your images from CC3 - a lovely map can quickly turn to rubbish if it's low-rez. Also, double check to make sure FG2 isn't rescaling the maps. I don't have hardly any experience with that program so I have no idea if that's a thing it does or not.
  • edited December 2012
    I think I know what you're talking about. The problem lies in my confusion with units maybe. When I created the map, I wanted it to be 100'x80'.

So, after experimenting, I found I had to enter 1000 by 800 to obtain that. So when I was saving to .jpg, I told it to save 1000 by 800.

After watching a video tutorial on dungeons, he said for 130' it's 13000 pixels, which I don't understand because with 50 pixels per 5' I would think 130' would be 1300. Anyway, so I saved it again with 10000 by 8000. The resolution is perfect, just how it looks in CC3; however, the file is 55mb which is too big to use in FGII due to the long load times players would get.

The tutorial I watched was discussing exporting the map to programs such as FGII so I'm assuming I must be doing something wrong with the math.

Help. :-)
  • CC3 works in units, not miles or kilometers.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Zygon2004however, the file is 55mb which is too big to use in FGII due to the long load times players would get
    You may try increasing the JPG compression on the file. This creates more visual artifacts, but it can sometimes be a worthwhile compromise for situations such as this. You might also experiment with a slightly lower resolution as well. If you can make do with 5000x4000 for example, the image should be about a quarter in size.

Unfortunately, large file sizes are a result when you need good resolutions. Because the way CC3 works, deep zooms at excellent quality is not an issue (because CC3 uses multiple versions of each symbol and fill style), but once you need to export it to an image for other uses (such as a virtual tabletop app or a web page), you loose all this functionality because normal image formats simply do not work this way, and will be stuck with a rather large file if you wish to be able to do deep zooms.