Beginner help please

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for map building software for my 8 year old. He spends hours drawing his own maps by hand, map book style, with complex road junctions. We have attempted to download simple software but this does not give him the desired detail. Would the Xmas bundle allow him to do this? He has designed his own world, currently on 10-12 a4 interlinking sheets, and this is what he wants to design. It must also show terrain, ie sea,trees etc. and must be able to add housing details.

Ideally he would like it to look like a map book, with road numbers.

I should probably point out that he is on the autistic spectrum, and maps are his obsession. They have been since he was 3.

Any help would be great fully received as I do not have a clue.

He has a netbook with 1gb memorably, alternatively it will run off my lap top

Thank you

Sam

Comments

• 8 years old and has a map of his own world huh? You sure he's not an aspiring evil genius or something? ;) I do not know what's in the bundle pack but if he is computer savvy, he may be able to work in it (assisted by you initially of course).
    JSM
  • Hi JSM,

The pack has Cc3, city designer 3 & dungeon 3, from your answer the question would be COULD i use it???!!!!!

He would gladly have me designing for hours, he is a director/ dictator of the highest order. I would confess I would prefer not to spend the holiday season completely glues to a computer!

Is their a tutorial that shows how to do it?

Thanks

Sam
  • Yeah the software comes with pdf files as well as the links on the Profantasy page to video tutorials. http://www.profantasy.com/community/user_tutorials.asp Anyone willing to put in a little time and ask questions can use it.
    JSM
  • This is an original drawing - he was just 7 when he drew this
  • It came out massive!!

Here's a more recent doodle map, would he be able to do these sort of maps?

I've had a look at the tutorials and it kinda looks possible, what do you guys think?

Thank you
  • I think it is possible. Just a matter of the time you input for the project. That's pretty good stuff for a 7-8 year old.
    JSM
  • You can scan maps and save them as bmps and import them into CC3. Then trace, add land, add rivers, etc. I have done lots of them, the software handles this very well.
  • I read highways, road numbers

http://sub.profantasy.com/2010/june10.html
    You might want to take a look here , see if this style is something.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2012
    Considering the maps presented, I am inclined to believe that he would be better of with the Base CC3 program and the Modern Road annual (http://sub.profantasy.com/2011/may11.html), as this will most closely resemble the style of the scanned maps. You are also talking about building details. If this means building floorplans, you might also consider Symbol Set 3, which has all the tools for drawing modern floor plans (DD3 from the XMAS bundle also have floorplan tools, but this is more geared against fantasy/medieval settings)

Depending on the CPU in the netbook, CC3 might be too heavy for it, especially if he wishes to draw larger more complicated maps. Also note that CC3 is a complex piece of software, it is not really designed for use by children, even adults need some time to get to learn and understand the program. If he is willing and interested in learning it, it is certainly possible, but do expect that he will need to spend some time training with the software before being able to draw what he wishes. I would highly recommend that if you buy CC3 for him, you work through the overland tutorials in the manual with him and spend some time doing this, even if it is not the type of maps he will be drawing later, as these tutorials are designed to help understand the core functionality of CC3 that will help design any kind of map later.

I will highly recommend that you watch the video tutorials at http://www.profantasy.com/community/user_tutorials.asp, especially the first series, to get a little understanding of how CC3 works, before you make a buying decision (And again later if you do purchase the software)
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    edited December 2012
    I must say that his maps looks very nice. I guess I agree with Monsen that CC3 and the 2011 annual might be of most interest to him, if he wants to map cities, Also it might be an idea to start out with one program and then add on more programs if he shows an interest to it. I have a son (he is 10) who is on the autistic spectrum as well and he has tried CC3 and has managed to make a simple map, and maps is not one of his obsessions he's more into elevators and trains :). So I think your son will work it out if you help him out a bit.
    Try to learn the basics yourself first and then it'll be easier to get him into the program, and if your stuck we are quite a lot of people here at the forum that likes to help out.
  • Thanks everyone,

We have ordered the bundle and we'll see how we go.

I have begun to watch the tutorials but I may be back with some silly questions.

Merry Christmas

Sam
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Hi Sam,

Welcome to the forums. There are no silly questions. At least, I like to think so given how many I have myself. So please, ask away. Before you do, though, you may want to run a quick search (Search is a tab at the top of the page). You might be surprised to find that someone was already confused about the same thing!

I'm eager to see what your son creates with CC3. If his hand-drawn maps are any indication, he has a real knack.

Happy mapping. And happy holidays!
    ~Dogtag
  • These videos are what really got me going on the software. Hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UC6YZiP9vTmt8rEpraPEfrIg