City Designer 3 not responding with drawing shets and effects

Hello I have a problem, whenever I activate the sheet effects to my village it just freezes and I get the message cc3 is not responding, what should I do?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    It might be a computer issue. Maybe you are runn9ing low on resources like RAM or even CPU resources. This happens to me when I export a large jpg from CC3, but it eventually returns to normal state. I would activate the sheets and then let it sit for a little bit. Remember it has to load all of that new data into your hardware to be displayed.
    JSM

What are your computer specs?
  • edited December 2012
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 720 Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Not the best pc out there, but shouldn't it be enough for cc3 & dd3?
  • Well let me give you a comparison that might shed some light on your issue. My system is:

Processor - Core i7
    RAM - 12GB
    NVIDIA GTX 280 - It is one of those BFG cards which are overclocked
    HD - 6 - 1.5TB drives so swap space should not be a problem.

Now if I render a jpg that ends up being 48 inches wide by 32 inches high for example, my CC3 goes into Not Responding for about 5 minutes. I think it is just a lot of data crunch and you are probably experiencing that too. When I first started I complained of constant redraw which someone pointed out that I ought to be drawing with sheet effects off and only turn them on to view as it suck up resources.

I am not an expert by far so hopefully someone else chimes in on your specs too.
    JSM
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    To put some perspective into machine specs; CC3 is a 32-bit program, so it cannot utilize more than 2GB of memory (Although since other programs use memory too, more memory in the computer will allow more memory to be free for CC3 even if you run other large programs). CC3 does not use the GPU, so performance-wise it doesn't matter which graphics card you have installed either.

As for the actual problem; which effects do you use for this village? Are you just using the default effects from the template, or have you added your own? Does it happen if you try a new test map in the same style? Mind sharing the problematic map with us?