Making smaller maps from a larger one.

Not sure if the name of this post accurately describes what I'm going for and I've posted about this a long while ago but what I'm wondering is. Can you take an overland map, section out a smaller section as a regional map that's zoomed in to do work on. The effect I'm looking for I'd like they did with the Old Forgotten Realms Atlas. You started off with the large overland map then had links to the smaller more detailed region/area maps. But I want the edges of the smaller map to match the larger map.

Can that be done in 3 like it was is the old version and if it can could the instructions be posted thanks

Comments

• The The Cartographer's Annual 2012 (august) tells you all you want to know about this topic.
  • Sure, we've discussed this before. Just do a search. My Crestar site has a tutorial on one method.
  • Working on getting enough money to get a subscription to the annuals. Maybe the nice folks at Profantasy will gift me a subscription as my birthday is coming up 15 days before Xmas but I doubt it. LOL. So thanks and JimP cool I'll check it out. Thanks. Last i inquired about it was like last year and I think it slipped through with no responses and I don't think I explained it well.

On a side note, has anyone heard about the status of Profantasy's petition to WotC about redoing the FR Atlas? It's been years since I heard anything on it which was about the time CC3 launched. Thought I'd ask here before I shot off an email. It'd be really nice to have an updated map especially with all the changes that happened, but it's probably an empty hope just like the Halo movie, though they're getting close with all these short ones they're doing.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2012
    Posted By: ViepyrCan that be done in 3 like it was is the old version and if it can could the instructions be posted thanks
    Basics here is to use clipboard copy to copy the relevant parts to a new smaller map, then use break, cut and trim to remove the parts that extends outside the map border, and/or use the trace feature of most drawing tools to draw new entities in exactly the same shape as the old ones. All the functionality you need to do this is detailed in the Editing chapter in the User Manual. The trace part of this chapter has a mini-tutorial for this exact case.
  • Never have been comfortable with tracing ad I imagine its tons easier with a Wacom pad. And I've tried using the break to get rid of things that have creeped outside the border to disastrous results. Most likely I'm not doing it right or lack the patience to be meticulous about it. But I thought there'd be an easier way to do it. Perhaps if the scripts feature is robust enough it could be automated to an extent through that. Never have played with scripting editor though. But now that I've stepped into a limitless bit of programming I can figure it out. Maybe even code up something but that might be getting in the intellectual rights and such as I don't think there are any 3 rd party programs for CC3 other than the catalog stuff but that's just files not actual code.
    Posted By: ViepyrNever have been comfortable with tracing ad I imagine its tons easier with a Wacom pad.
    Definitely not. Tracing in CC3 is automatically done by the program, you only specify entity to trace, starting and ending points of the trace. No manual dexterity required. (Note that I am talking about tracing CC3 entities here. If you import a bitmap image as a background and wish to trace parts of it, that is another issue altogether, since that does require manual tracing and might benefit from a drawing tablet. However, when going from a large to a small map in CC3, you already have CC3 entities).

There is another option, but this is an unsupported feature. if you type CUTMENUON on the command line in CC3, you will get a new menu on the next restart. It contains commands that can cut out rectangular shapes (and more) automatically from a map. This is a great feature, but it is unsupported because it doesn't work with all kinds of entities properly. Feel free to try it out however, but do expect that you will still be needing to do some manual work.

As for programming, if you feel up to it, you can always write your own add-ons. The toolkit needed for this is freely available, and there is a mailing list dedicated to it (It doesn't see much traffic presently, but usually there are people subscribed that can answer questions)
  • Oh, that command line might just work, because if I plan it right the edges would only contain the landmass entity and maybe a few mountains. So I can give that a try. Also I've had a fair look around the website and haven't seen a link for that kit course I wants looking for it either so where would it be? And what language base does it use? Thanks for the info
    Toolkit is found here. Check out Lee Saunder's blog for some tutorials and information. The language is C++, although if you prefer, the C++ code can call methods from libraries written in other languages.