Templates for Mercator Maps

Hello!

I've been enjoying making CC3 maps for a couple of years now. I am trying to work with the Mercator template from one of the annuals. I would like to (a) make my Mercator map bigger so that it's in kilometers instead of miles and (b) change the background color/fill style so that it's just the color without those little hatching marks. Or - alternatively - how can I start a new map that's circular rather than rectangular?

Thank you in advance for any tips!!!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    - Miles vs Km issue: At the scale these maps are in, there is no real differences between miles and km, both are represented by one map unit (CC3's internal measurement system). If you prefer to think in km, when you create a new map, simply use the desired size in km when you enter the size for the new map. If you wish to rescale an existing map, simply use the SCALE command (thaw and show all layers and show all sheets first) and scale it by 1.60934.
    - To change the background style, simply use the Change properties command on the single entity on the OCEAN FILL sheet to change the pattern (you may even simply delete this entity), or use change properties on the entity on the OCEAN BACKGROUND sheet to change the color. Note that the pattern looks much better with sheet effects turned on, so think about that before you remove it.
    - To create a new circular map, you need to select 'Pick a pre-defined template' in the new drawing wizard. Also make sure that you have selected Overland Maps as a map type. Now, instead of the normal map wizard, clicking next will take you to the list of available templates. These are sorted alphabetically, so scroll down until you find the M section.
  • Thank you, this was very helpful!