NPC Creation

Someone told me that this program used to handle random NPC generation, names, professions etc.

Does it still do that?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2012
    Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but as far as I am aware, no versions of Campaign Cartographer have ever been able to do any NPC generation. CC is for mapping, not campaign management.

I do know that Campaign Mapper (CM), a light version of CC was included as part of the old TSR core rules package for AD&D, and this package did have NPC creation features, but that were handled by other programs in the package, not by CM or CC.
  • Thanks.

While i'm here then, do you know of any campaign manager type software that will record NPCs per town and the like. I have begun creating my own database for the purpose but my sql skills are subpar to do a decent job of it.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Sorry, I don't have any names of such software. Each time I need something like that I usually find that I am not particularly pleased with the existing solutions I can find, and usually end up creating an overly complex MS Access database tailored to that specific rules system and my personal needs.
  • That's pretty much what i'm working on now, an access database. I'm just very rusty at it is all.
  • Nope, CC2/3 doesn't do that. There are some spreadsheets out there, and web sites, that can generate towns and who lives there. Sorry, I don't have any urls/links.
  • I was looking for something like this years ago too. What I did (it took a bit of work) is I found a multitude of random name generators, generated lists of about 50 names of different styles (Orc names, halfling names, different "themed" cultural names) and put them into a reference booklet. Printed that out and keep that with my GM stuff. I called it The Complete List Of Names:
    All together it has:
    General NPC Names
    Historical Themed Names
    Orcish & Goblinoid
    Dwarf
    Elves
    Small Folk
    Villians
    Draconian
    Ship Names
    Taverns & Inns
    Place Names
    Miscellaneous
    City Types
    Ethinic Groups & Descriptions
  • I think you'll find what you're seeking in a program called "The Keep." Go to:

http://www.nbos.com/products/keep/keep.htm