A question about which product to buy, concerned about weather.

I have the background story and everything else set up for my fantasy world. I'm ready to start putting things down on paper.

I want to use this software to make my maps. I have in my mind a general idea of what things should be like. One thing that is very important to me is realistic weather patters. I want my fantasy campaign world's weather to reflect ours.

Does the CC3 tell you weather patterns? If not, is there an add on that does?

Basically, I just want to place things and be told what the weather would be like depending on location and altitude etc etc.... For example, I know in the western part of the continent the gaming takes place there is a mountain range shaped like a moon crescent. After I place that on the map, will I be able to get info. about how cold it is at the top and what the weather patterns in surrounding areas are like?

Comments

• If you use Fractal Terrains, it can tell you things like rainfall patterns, climate, and temperatures. For example, here is a quick export of what the climate looks like on a world I just randomly generated
  • OK. So I need to get the bundle that has Fractal Terrains, I'll have what I want. I see the World Builder bundle has that included. Might be my best option. Thanks for that.
  • That's what I got and I'm quite enjoying it. I generated a map using FT3, and have been using all the data it generated to help fill in a hex map (in the free hex map annual style) for an exploration/kingdom building themed game. CD3 and DD3 have been great for knocking out battle maps once I had a style I like sorted out.
  • 15 days later
  • One caveat: You say that you want 'realistic weather patterns.' Depending on how realistic your expectations are, FT may or may not fit the bill. FT includes altitude and latitude when calculating weather patterns, but doesn't really include prevailing winds, wind shadows, etc.

So you get a basic set of biomes out of FT, and you may need to do some climate painting to get a level of realism that works for you.

Steve