Al-Qadim - Abandoned Way Station (Random Desert Encounter)

Hey all...Since my PCs are frequently roaming about the desert, I thought it would be cool some have some more complex random encounters for them while their making their way from city to city. I stumbled upon side-quest type encounter in Dungeon Magazine ("Palace of the Twisted King") that seemed to suit this purpose.

The plan is that they would seek shelter from a vicious sand storm in this ruined way station. However, the real terror for them begins that night as a group of "Meenlocks" torment them from their secret basement tunnels (I'll start working on that map next).

Comments, Criticisms, and Suggestions are welcomed. I'm still not 100% on the ruined walls. I used Joachim's method as described in another post and I think it worked well for the wall shape, but I was having trouble trying to convey the crumbling of the walls. Either way, enjoy.

Comments

• ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    I think it looks really nice. How did you do the walls? They look really great when they aren't too regular, looks more real the way you did them.
  • Thanks...to do the walls, I generally followed Joachim's advice given in this threat (http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3284&page=1#Item_22). I did have to play around with the fractalize settings ALOT. In addition, I went back and added or deleted notes to try to keep the fractilize reasonable. I would also really suggest making sure that you are 100% solid on the walls before you even start going through the process ( I decided to add those little side walls at the end and had to redo everything - which took a while).
  • Well, al your trouble was worth it.
    One great looking ruin.
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    Posted By: anomiecoalition
    ....I think it worked well for the wall shape, but I was having trouble trying to convey the crumbling of the walls.
    It worked exceedingly well, and your hard work with the fractalisation really paid off. It looks great.

I wonder if the walls might look a bit scruffier if you took the bevel effect off? And maybe used a concrete texturise on them to give a pitted look? I know it could well look horrible, but it might be worth a try.
  • I haven't much experimented with the texturize effect, but I might have to give that a try. It occurred to me that a "ruined" wall shouldn't have a bevel and I did try it without the bevel - but it just looked a little weird. It seemed to somehow lose depth...so, I tried to make the bevel kinda subtle.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited October 2012
    In truth, I'd expect a bevel on a ruined wall before I'd expect one on a non-ruined wall, really. I mean, I can honestly say I've never been in a sound structure where the walls were beveled at the top — leastways, not so I could see them. image

I think it looks fantastic. I especially like the rubble around the wall breaches and the darkened ends near the breaks. How'd you do those? Also, the wall shadows and the breaks in the shadows that coincide with the breaks in the wall really help to sell it, I think.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited October 2012
    I don't think the bevel should be taken "litteraly", it just enhances the feel of the map.

The rubble is very pertinent, though. Perhaps with a RGB matrix effect you could match its color closer to the walls...
  • Thanks for all the comments.

@Dogtag - I learned alot doing this map and would probably incorporate what I learned to do it very differently the next time around - this is especially true in doing the darkened parts around the breaks. To do it, I took the rubble.png (can be found in the CSUAC) dropped it into photoshop and cropped it to a square image. (attached to this post) I then loaded it as my fill and drew little shapes around the edges. I then gave it a very small edge fade (with transparency). Because I thought of doing this last, this sheet had to go above the wall sheet. (thus precluding any hope of having the wall shadow go on top of it - which is what I would really have wanted). To fix this, I could have (1) copied my wall sheet to a new sheet, use the rubble fill and placed it under my regular wall sheet and (2) exploded my regular wall sheet and trimmed it a bit to make the rubble parts visible and reformed it....but I just didn't have the energy to do that yet (and given the rather positive response I've received so far, I'll probably keep it as is and do that the next time I make a "ruined structure").

I haven't begun to experiment with the RGB matrix effect, so i'm not really sure how it works or what it can do....another reason why I should really get the Tome one of these days.
    Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelI don't think the bevel should be taken "litteraly", it just enhances the feel of the map.
    Yeah, I agree. That was pretty much what I was trying to get at. image

@anomiecoalition - Thank you for explaining!

~Dogtag
  • anomiecoalitionanomiecoalition Traveler
    edited October 2012
    Here is the tunnel system that runs beneath the ruin. These are meant to be really tight and small tunnels (only a couple feet wide and tall) with a small cave in the end that serves as the lair of a few Meenlocks. The * mark the spot where a secret entrance can be found in the ruin map (beneath the sand). I'm pretty happy with how this map turned out and discovered that the lighted bevel effect can be really effective for doing cave walls.

I've also included an image that combines the two. If you want to see a full sized version - I'll be posting it at my little online storage/blog site (http://drunkennerdery.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/palace-of-the-twisted-king/)
  • Very cool! Very nice how you made the effort to take care of the areas outside the actual caves and tunnels. I also like the consistent look of both maps.

~Nils
  • Oh wow! Fantastic maps!

I especially love the caves and the shading that you put to their walls. Great job!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Agreed this came out really great. Keep up the good work!
    Also, meenlocks. Brrr, those things give me the willies. :-)