Fractal Terrians

I'm running the demo version of FT3 and am trying to create a custom export file, when it comes to saving the file the full file path is causing issues.

"c:\program files (x86)\profantasy\ft3demo\\Export\sean.xpt"

as you can see between ft3demo and Export there is a double backslash "\\" this is is not allowing me to save the file. Is there a fix for this?

I'm running this on windows 8.

see attached

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Probably a permission issue. Newer versions of windows generally doesn't like programs writing to the program files directories. When starting FT, try right clicking on the icon and select "Run as Administrator" (I am guessing Win8 still have this)
  • If I rember correctly, you couldn`t save anything with the FT demo version.
  • Yep it was a permission issue in the end.

Thanks for responses :)
  • 5 months later
  • Hi, I am looking very hard and purchasing the Master Mapper Bundle. But I do have some lurking questions that hinder me from just doing it.

One of the questions is I see that Fract Terrains can me exported to Campaign Cartographer 3.

But lets say I make an awesome map in CC3 and want to export it to Fract Terains to use all the tools there. Is that possible?

Reason I ask is with what I am seeing, it is easier and you have much, much, much, much control over map creation in CC3 then you do in Fract Terrain.

This is really what is holding me back from the purchase. Fract Terrains has great features, but I do not see total control in making free hand maps as one can do in CC3.
  • GuyinPA, it's not easy for me to explain, but basically: no, I think it doesn't do that, but yes you should jump in and buy some of these programs and start computer mapping anyway. Ok, you might be able to do that (CC3 to FT3) but it is not the normal function of the programs. I think you will like CC3 if you want to draw your own continents and place your own mountains and rivers. I think you will like FT3 if you want to generate random worlds, or maybe paint your own small part of a world, and then optionally to export it for details in CC3.

FT3 export to CC3 is a built-in feature! The reverse, not so much. Maybe possible but it's not easy like you are asking, I have found, in a few months of using these programs and reading this forum.

FT3 is mainly for making a fractal world, a whole globe -- it's really great at making RANDOM worlds like this, so the best quick use of FT3 is clicking through lots of random worlds until you find one you like. FT3 can also be used for hand-painting your custom world vision however this is much more time consuming and difficult. You can zoom in on any section of that globe and generate a close-up map, which can be exported to CC3 and modify the map details in CC3.

Another way of saying the difference. FT3 map is based on a fractal, mathamatical function. CC3 is based on vector graphics, and like AutoCAD.