Symbols and catalogs

Originally, I was going to only ask about a specific, strange thing that happened when I opened CC3 just now (which I haven't in a while, been away from this whole mapping thing). But since I've been thinking about picking up some Annuals and getting more into this, I think it's time I learned more about symbols and catalogs in general.

In short, catalogs have me completely baffled. I don't understand any of the menus for using them at all. I can use symbols on a map (i.e. place them, move them around, etc) fine, but CATALOGS, and organization, have eluded me.

The strange thing that happened today was, I opened the program, and instead of the normal, CC3-style bitmap symbols, it's showing me these odd, sort of "coloring book"-looking symbols, as seen here in the symbol column on the left:

http://i.imgur.com/nEBGU.png

As I said, I really don't know anything about managing symbols. All of the limited amount of mapping I've done with CC3, so far, has just used the default symbols; I've never tried to change anything.

Clicking on the buttons above the symbol area ("Mountains/Minerals", "Vegetation", etc) just brings up this menu window:

http://i.imgur.com/2mpC9.png

which I of course have no idea how to use. XD (And yes, I did try looking at the "advanced" options).

If I understand correctly, a "symbol catalog" is somewhat analogous to a playlist in iTunes in a way, in that the files themselves for each type of symbol exist in a specific place on your hard drive, and don't need to be moved/copied, but the catalogs allow a symbol to show up more than once (in "Mountains" and also in... "Ground", or something I guess) even though there's only one file (like a playlist does for a music file). But beyond that, I'm unclear about anything about catalogs (and that includes everything relating to actually USING them: making new ones, shuffling between them, that little menu I posted a screenshot of above, etc). SO:

1) Is the above summary of what a catalog IS about right?
2) What's the best way to go about learning more about this? Didn't find much by searching the forums or the help file in the program (though I could have missed it). Would the Tome of Ultimate Mapping have some information on this? I've thought about picking it up anyway; I'd assume it would be a good resource if I'm planning to try and dig deeper into CC3 use than I had previously.
3) How in the heck do I solve the immediate problem of getting back to the "normal" CC3 symbols?

Thanks, as always, for any and all help!

Comments

• If you registered your copy of CC3, the login page for registration on Profantasy's web site has a new CC3 manual.

A catalog od symbols would be a set of symbols for say cities, or overland.

Overland would have symbols for cities, castles, keeps, forests, moutains, etc.

You click on the symbol in the catalog, left side of CC3, and add them to your map.

save as often, using filename_map01, filename_map02, etc.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2012
    Ooops. Never mind, that won't fix the symbols. I deleted what i had typed here.
  • CielCiel Traveler
    edited September 2012
    I realized after reading your response, JimP, that my post made it look like I was having trouble using symbols, when I should have specified that my trouble is with symbol catalogs and organization. Actually using/placing symbols in that column on the left onto the map, is not a problem. I've edited my original post to make that a bit more clear. Thanks for replying tho. =) And I'll look at the newer manual; I'm not sure if I had previously seen that or not. As I said, I've been away from CC3 for a while!
  • The CC3 manual has been updated, so you should find it very useful.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I would follow JimP's suggestion and read through the relevant chapters in the Manual, it explains a lot about symbol catalogs and organization. Just remember to grab the updated manual from your registration page. The Tome also have quite a bit of information on this, but I would start with the manual.
  • CielCiel Traveler
    Yeah, as it turns out, I DIDN'T have that more recently updated version of the manual. It looks quite helpful; it's clearly more extensive than the previous one.

I also couldn't help but notice that it' was updated and laid out by "Remy Monsen". I assume the name isn't a coincidence, haha.

That said... having looked at the section on symbols and catalogs, I understand it a bit better than before... I still have a lot to learn, but I think I can do so overtime. However, the more I read up on this, the more convinced I am that something is actively wrong with my CC3. I never changed the catalog that was being used when mapping, nor did I change the filters or what catalogs were available; I wouldn't have even known how to BEGIN to change any of that. All I did was use the program, close it one day, go on a big hiatus from mapping and not open it for a few months, then open it again just the other day, and boom, symbols are screwy. Not only have the default CC3 ones been replaced by those weird coloring book ones, but this menu window

http://i.imgur.com/2mpC9.png

which keeps popping up when I click various symbol buttons, is just empty, as you can see. I notice that in every screenshot of that menu that appears in the updated User Guide, that main vertical window is filled with a list of available catalogs. But mine is just blank.

Before opening CC3 after the hiatus, I ran CCleaner to clear cache data and clean the registry (something I'd neglected to do for too long actually). I'm wondering if, since I hadn't used CC3 in so long, something could have gotten changed or deleted that CC3 needs.

Tempted to just uninstall & reinstall CC3 to get everything back to square one, then continue trying to learn more about managing symbol catalogs once I have a properly functioning program. Thoughts?
    edited September 2012
    No, it is no conincidence :) You'll find my name at the front page of the Tome too.

For your problem, simply right click the Symbol Style Toggle image button, then select Master Filter Settings. From the box that pops up, make sure the option labeled CC3 is selected, then click ok. This should set the correct master filter, so when you click the various catalog buttons, it should now give you the desired result.

You can also left-click the symbol style toggle button multiple times until the correct symbols disappear (Dismiss any empty "select symbol catalog" dialogs that may pop up)
  • CielCiel Traveler
    edited September 2012
    Aha, I didn't realize you were that heavily involved "behind the scenes", so to speak. Perhaps I should have guessed, given how knowledgeable and helpful you've been every time I've posted with some new thing I don't get. XD

In this case, though... I followed your instructions in your last post, made sure that CC3 is selected in the Master Filter settings, but I'm still getting a menu with nothing in it when I click on any of those Symbol buttons, including the "Symbol Catalog Settings" button. Clicking "Symbol Style Toggle" (left-clicking it, that is) makes the main drawing window flicker like it's being refreshed, and sometimes also brings up that same empty menu, but that's it. No matter how many times I click it, none of the symbols in the column change, nor does the behavior of the other buttons change.

Soooo, unless you have another idea that I haven't tried yet, I think it might be time to throw in the towel, assume something has gone horribly wrong within the program, and uninstall/reinstall CC3? lol
    You can try setting the filter manually. If you still don't get any symbols, then you should probably to a reinstall.
    Click the Symbol Catalog Settings image button. Click the advanced button, and in this window, make sure the catalog setting is set to a single asterisk (*) and that the master filter is set to CC3. Then click one of the Find now buttons. This should bring up a list of the default CC3 symbol catalogs in the left part of the windows (May or may not show previews of symbols depending on the checkbox on the top). If you do get a list of symbol catalogs, select one of them (for example CC3 Filled Borders) by clicking on it, then hit ok. The selected symbol catalog should now be loaded into your symbol catalog window, and the symbol catalog buttons above the drawing window should also work to load these catalogs.
  • CielCiel Traveler
    Haven't had much luck I'm afraid, though I appreciate the help as always!

However, further tinkering and possible re-installing will have to wait till after my vacation to Seattle in two days, heh. Need to pack tonight/tomorrow, then won't have access to the program for 4 days. I'll keep at this after I get back, and post my findings here!