From FT3 to CC3: how to maintain and represent scale properly?

Hello,

After a long break, I've gotten back into CC3 and started playing with the new FT3. My skills are sadly limited. After many clicks, I managed to generate a perfect world for my campaign, and zooming in, saved the area as a .bmp and inserted it into CC3 on a temp sheet. Then I traced the contours, elevated areas, rivers, etc, and that's come out mostly okay. (I tried doing it with export to CC3 and tracing, but my laptop can't handle tracing very well--especially since I can never get trace to go in the right direction; help?)

What I'm struggling with is maintaining size and scale between FT3 and CC3. The FF3 view that I export gives the n/s, e/w dimensions, so I use those for the size of the CC3 map. However, when I insert the .bmp, it never seems to fit, so I'm wondering if I'm throwing distances off. How can I maintain accurate scale between the two pieces of software?

Attached is my first effort at adapting a piece of the world into CC3, using the recent Vielink style.

Also--I can't figure out how to insert the scale bar cartouche and have it give an accurate distance. Help?

Comments

• And here's the in-progress Vielink-style map. Be gentle! I'm still learning how to use CC3.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Mikeespecially since I can never get trace to go in the right direction; help?)
    When tracing, the point you click on the entity to trace is important, since the trace will always go through that spesific point. If the trace goes the wrong way, it is an indication that you have selected the entity to trace by clicking on a point on the entity that is outside the actual part you wish to trace.
    Posted By: MikeHowever, when I insert the .bmp, it never seems to fit
    This is most probably because of map projections. Remember that you cannot accurately depict a spherical world on a flat surface. FT3 uses appropriate planetary (spherical) coordinates, but once you export it, it is impossible to avoid distortion, especially if you export larger areas.
    Posted By: Mike
    Also--I can't figure out how to insert the scale bar cartouche and have it give an accurate distance. Help?
    When you insert the scale bar from the Herwin Wielink style, the scale bar (entire length) represents a distance of 100 miles when inserted at scale 1.0. If you need a different distance, use another scale. For example, scale 2.5 creates a scale bar representing 250 miles. Note however what I said about projections above.