W7-64 bit system - saving as pics crashes fastcad

I love CC3 and have used it for years, but getting it to work properly on my new system has been a difficult process. First off, I want to go over some ground issues. I have been trying to fix the issues through reading the forums as much as possible, so I have gone through the correct installation order for Vista/W7. Several times. The last time I got everything to work by installing in the correct order, then NOT installing the patch 10. I also put it in its own ProFantasy folder on the root drive, not the Program Files (x86), as that does not work. It has been running fine, actually gloriously! I have constructed a new map this past week, and have been astonished that I can actually 'forget' that I have effects activated and move the map and barely notice that it needs to reapply the effects. I do not make that a habit. My old system would take a full minute to reapply effects. The only drawback I found was that I could no longer use the mouse wheel to zoom, and I posted that issue a couple of weeks back.

I started recently converting my maps to jpgs and pngs. All went very well at first. I then had a map that had proven to be problematic before, but I was able to save the entire map just fine at 6000x6000 pixels. It took 9 minutes and created a 25 meg file. Nice for a test drive! I then decided to make some smaller files of the same map. The first quarter I saved as 3000x3000 and it went fine. Then the next quarter I tried it and as soon as I hit 'save', after setting options and file name, it crashed. FCW32.exe crash. Info below.
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: fcw32.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.612
Application Timestamp: 476086d3
Fault Module Name: StackHash_6731
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b8f
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000ce6c3
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 6731
Additional Information 2: 6731a9e3e0b479b99acf229fcb3efee1
Additional Information 3: 1860
Additional Information 4: 18605ea5e78a581893d4ae5ea470d41f

Now, whenever I try to save any file into any pic format, it does the same thing. I have pulled up tiny maps, 100x200, and it crashes if I try to save. It crashes right after the cross-hairs appear to select the area. I cannot move the cross-hairs, they just appear and then the above dialogue box appears.

Since then I have installed patch 10 after setting a restore point on my pc. I then could not open the program without getting the 'Error 0000003E6 loading XP module XPDWG2.dll'. I played with this a bit and found that I could open it now only if I set it the compatibility to 'Windows XP SP3'. Bonus, my mouse wheel works again for zooming. Great! I figure, I can live with this if I can save now. I tried saving, still cannot save. I tried installing the ImageMagick update, still will not save.

I really like the map I just built and would like to keep it, and a complete reinstall has become extremely old and time consuming.

Is there some fix I am overlooking? I would be good if I could just get my files saving at this point. I can save the fcw's, just not pngs or jpgs. A corruption in the registry maybe that I just need to delete a flag?

If anyone has run across this issue, please advise! If you need more info, let me know, but I think I have already been possibly too thorough. ;)

Thanks!

Comments

• Well, I think that I have solved the problem and am embarrassed to say, it was the installation procedure after all. After I posted the above, I went through the forums again and compared with my check list: "Did I 'run as administrator' every time? Yes. Did I install in the proper order? Yes. Did I install the update after the first CC3 install before installing the other software? I think so. Wait, I can't be sure."

So I uninstalled everything and made sure that I installed the patch after the first install of CC3. This time it worked with none of the xpdwg2.dll errors! I am now saving the files I need properly.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's troubleshooting sensibilities, but I was "SO SURE I had done everything correctly" and, well, we all know now that I was incorrect.

I am hoping that I do not get that nasty file saving error again. If I do, I will post again.

For now, I am very happy to be building maps again!
  • We all make mistakes. Looking forward to your maps.