Organizing Your Symbols

How do you guys organize yours symbols? What folder structure do you use? I am having a hard time to come up with a +- intuitive structure as I am downloading a good number os symbols and textures from diferent sites.

Comments

• Thank for the link. It already gave me some light, but is very hard to come with a compreensive system =(
  • agreed...every time I download something new I wish I could start over with a better organized system. Good Luck
  • Once I get a set of symbols I like to use in a particular type of map; be it city, overland, village, etc. I find, or create, a map with all of in them, then go to Symbol manager and save them as a symbol set with an appropriate name. village, plains, etc.

How about that for symbol organizing ?
  • Posted By: JimPOnce I get a set of symbols I like to use in a particular type of map; be it city, overland, village, etc. I find, or create, a map with all of in them, then go to Symbol manager and save them as a symbol set with an appropriate name. village, plains, etc.

How about that for symbol organizing ?
    Its a good sugestion JimP, but I dont think that it function for me. the big problem is that there are symbols that can enter multiple folders if you begin to break a lot. And there are the symbols that have multiple elements on them like tables with food or tables with chairs, or chaains with a skeleton...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Mateus090985the big problem is that there are symbols that can enter multiple folders if you begin to break a lot
    That's one of the great things about creating a symbol catalog. Remember, each symbol can be part of several symbol catalogs, so if you have a table with food, you can easily add it to both your "furniture" catalog and your "Edibles" catalog. This allow one symbol to appear in many places, without having to have multiple copies of the image file laying around.
  • edited August 2012
    It was me who started the thread that anomiecoalition mentioned :-p This is the structure I have so far (see attached file). I have a rule to go no further the 3 layers deep, from the "Symbols" folder. It's by no means finished, but allows for additions easily in my view. As monsen said, symbols can be in more then one category, so if i cant figure out which one it belongs in, I leave it in both
  • Thank you! This is a big inspiration.