Removing Terrain

How do I remove things I put on the screen in CC3?

For instance, too many hills!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Use the Erase command (Button in the left toolbar, looks like an eraser mounted on a pencil)
  • edited August 2012
    No, that is...eeeh.

I know about the eraser, but I just want the mountain(s) gone. I find the erasing tool weird. I lasso whatever and it blanks out huge swaths like the program is failing to refresh properly.

Not sure what to do.

Not liking some of parts of the program. It lays it down nice but it picks back up horribly. Especially the messes.
  • Hmm, I tried it and it worked but it also deleted the desert terrain (skin) I had beneath. So, is there a way to erase from a certain layer?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Don't "lasso" around stuff when you need to select it, because that will select everything partially inside the area. Instead, simply click on the edge of each of the entities you wish to erase. Also note that you ran remove an item from the selection by holding down the control key when clicking on something. This gives you much greater control over what to delete.

To delete only from a certain layer, there are two ways. First option is simply to hide or freeze all the layers except the one you wish to delete from. Then you can only select things on the appropriate layer. The second option is to utilize the selection options; First click the erase button, then mark the area to erase. Now right click, select Combine -> And, then right click again, select layer, then either type the name of the layer on the command line, or right click yet again and select the desired layer from the list. This will ensure that only items that were both part of your original selection and on the specified layer will be selected.

I will highly recommend that you work through the chapter about editing in the manual, it teaches you all the useful tricks to master the selection process. It might feel a bit cumbersome initially, but once you get the hang of it, you realize how powerful this method is when compared to more "regular/traditional" ways of handling it.
  • When I was learning CC3, understanding the selection methods (and how to NOT select things I didn't want) gave me a huge leap up the learning curve. As Monsen says, the tutorial is REALLY your friend here.

Steve