New Computer: Need To Link Symbols In Map To New Location

The title says all. I have a new pc and need to correct broken paths for some symbols that are in one map that I was working on. How can I do it?

Comments

• The easiest solution is of course to just move the PNGs to the correct path. When this isn't possible I've found two ways to handle it. Which way I choose depends on how many symbols have broken paths.

BACK UP YOUR MAP!!! - Better safe than sorry.

If there are only a few broken symbols:
    -Open the symbol manager
    -Rename the broken symbol. (For example, If the symbol is named "Apple Tree 1" I would rename it to "Apple Tree 1 Old")
    -Close the symbol manager
    -In the symbol catalog window, select the symbol you want to fix. Don't place it on the map, just select it. This puts it into the symbol manager with the correct file path.
    -Open the symbol manager
    -Select the old symbol, click replace, select the new symbol.
    -Delete the old symbol
    You will have to do this with every broken symbol

If you have a lot of symbols to fix:
    -Load the first new catalog that has broken symbols into the catalog window. Select one of the symbols and determine where the symbol origin is (center left, bottom left, center, etc)by looking at where the cross hair is.
    -Open the symbol manager
    -Click Import PNGs
    -Browse to the folder that has the PNGs for this catalog and click on the first file in the list.
    -Select the correct symbol origin.
    -Make sure that Update is selected under Method.
    -If it asks if you want to delete something say NO
    -Say yes to importing symbols.
    -The symbols from that catalog should now be fixed.
    -Repeat for each set of broken symbols
    -Once you have fixed all of the symbols, open the symbol manager one last time and click purge. This will clean out any unused symbols from the symbol manager.

When you use this method, there are times when the symbol's location or size may need adjusted a bit. I haven't figured out why this happens or a way to avoid it. Still, if you have a lot of symbols to fix, it's much faster to move or resize a few symbols than to rebuild your whole map.

I hope my instructions aren't too confusing. I'll clarify if you need more detail.
  • I am not sure if I can follow yours instructions Shessar. The symbols are already on the map an almost all of then are individual pngs and not catalogs.
  • Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited August 2012
    "Open the symbol manager
    -Select the old symbol, click replace, select the new symbol.
    -Delete the old symbol
    You will have to do this with every broken symbol"

HOW I select the new symbol?

I think that I did it, but the symbol still sohwns as a red X both on the map and on the symbol manager.
  • edited August 2012
    I guess I should have asked first, are your symbols broken just on your map or are they also showing red x's in the symbol catalog window?

Also, are these ProFantasy symbols, one's you created yourself, or one's that you have downloaded from somewhere?
  • The big part are from the user libary, but have some from sources as Vitriny and CASUAC ... And they are showing as red x even when I try to use then on new map =(
  • I would close CC3, and move one symbol you know is in the map to a different folder.

Open CC3, with the same map. If you found where that png goes in a folder, move one more. Or move severfal to that same folder.

Write down every move. Until you find the folder that works.
  • Posted By: JimPI would close CC3, and move one symbol you know is in the map to a different folder.

Open CC3, with the same map. If you found where that png goes in a folder, move one more. Or move severfal to that same folder.

Write down every move. Until you find the folder that works.
    I think that is not possible for me reproduce the original folders as they were in a drive letter that cannot reproduce now JimP.
  • If the issue is simply a drive letter assignment, I'm pretty sure that can be changed. Depends on your operating system.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited August 2012
    This is not going to help you now, but a general advice for the future (for everyone):

Keep your symbols inside your CC3 installation directory (for example in #Symbols/User/SomeAppropriateSubFolder). This allows you to reference the symbols using the #-symbol (meaning the CC3 installation path), which means your map will continue to work perfectly fine after a reinstall, even if CC3 was installed using a completely different path. The only requirement is that the symbols use the same relative path inside the CC3 installation directory as before, but the location of the CC3 install itself is irrelevant.

If you have limited space where CC3 is installed, take advantage of the ability of the NTFS file system to mount an entire partition inside a folder (instead of giving it a drive letter). This way, you can dedicate an entire drive to your symbols, and have them appear inside #/Symbols/User
    On my current computer, I have multiple drives and multiple partitions on each, but only one drive letter (not counting network drives and the dvd-rom). All the various partitions just points to folders on my C: drive instead of having their own drive letters.

Oh. And don't forget to backup your user symbol directory regularily.
  • Posted By: MonsenThis is not going to help you now, but a general advice for the future (for everyone):

Keep your symbols inside your CC3 installation directory (for example in #Symbols/User/SomeAppropriateSubFolder). This allows you to reference the symbols using the #-symbol (meaning the CC3 installation path), which means your map will continue to work perfectly fine after a reinstall, even if CC3 was installed using a completely different path. The only requirement is that the symbols use the same relative path inside the CC3 installation directory as before, but the location of the CC3 install itself is irrelevant.

If you have limited space where CC3 is installed, take advantage of the ability of the NTFS file system to mount an entire partition inside a folder (instead of giving it a drive letter). This way, you can dedicate an entire drive to your symbols, and have them appear inside #/Symbols/User
    On my current computer, I have multiple drives and multiple partitions on each, but only one drive letter (not counting network drives and the dvd-rom). All the various partitions just points to folders on my C: drive instead of having their own drive letters.

Oh. And don't forget to backup your user symbol directory regularily.
    Thanks for the suggestion Monsen. I cant believe that I will not be able to finish my map!
  • Posted By: Mateus090985The big part are from the user libary, but have some from sources as Vitriny and CASUAC ... And they are showing as red x even when I try to use then on new map =(
    I know that both the CSUAC and the Vintyri catalogs were created relative to the CC3 directory. If you are seeing red x's in a new map, this means that the png art files are either missing or are located in the wrong place. The drive letter shouldn't matter, only the location within the CC3 directory.

I want you to be able to finish your map and will help you figure this out. In the past I have totally rearranged all of my symbols and rebuilt every one of my maps. It can be fixed. I just need to figure out what is broken first.

Could you please confirm that the CSUAC folder is located at the path CC3\Symbols\CSUAC

Then, confirm that you have all of the CSUAC folders shown below.
  • Ok. I will redo my user symbols. Will begin with CASUAC and will follow rthis "tutorial": http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3164&page=1#Item_22
    edited August 2012
    One question. This archives are the same of here: http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex.htm ?

EDIT> Wrong post =)
  • I think that I will give up... Sad... Even with a fresh reinstall I keep having red Xs even when I add an symbol to an catalog. I have deleted all my custon conend and have instaled only fonts, CASUAC and Vitryni material. The rest I will rebuild with time, but I cant continue my old map =(
  • 9 days later
    edited August 2012
    Ok... I have remade one of the shileds of one map. The symbols were download fresh, put in the folder symbols/user inside cc3 and put the the shild from there. BUT when I import it to my map (by insert file) I get a X but they function on a new map... WTF?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is probably because of symbol names. Once you use a symbol for the first time, it's symbol definition is copied into your map. Subsequent use of the same symbol will create a reference to the already existing definition. What happens is that the new symbol you are trying to use has the same name as a symbol definition in the map, so it uses the one in the map instead of copying it from the symbol catalog.
    To avoid this problem, use the symbol manager to delete the existing definition of this name from the map before trying to insert the new symbol. Since the definition that is currently in the map seems to point to a missing image, you won't loose anything by deleting it. (Note that you must do this deletion from the symbol manager, simply deleting the visible symbols in the map won't delete the definition)
  • Posted By: MonsenThis is probably because of symbol names. Once you use a symbol for the first time, it's symbol definition is copied into your map. Subsequent use of the same symbol will create a reference to the already existing definition. What happens is that the new symbol you are trying to use has the same name as a symbol definition in the map, so it uses the one in the map instead of copying it from the symbol catalog.
    To avoid this problem, use the symbol manager to delete the existing definition of this name from the map before trying to insert the new symbol. Since the definition that is currently in the map seems to point to a missing image, you won't loose anything by deleting it. (Note that you must do this deletion from the symbol manager, simply deleting the visible symbols in the map won't delete the definition)
    Thank you. I will try this Monsen. By the way... I have to buy the Tome of ultimate mapping to see all your work =)