Folder Organisation

Just curious if anyone has a good layout for the folders for the symbols/bitmaps/fills/pngs etc they use. For example all the vegetation together , all the walls together.
hope this makes sense. With the CSUAC now available again plus i found a ton of free symbols, add that to the ones I have brought, I need a coherant filing system thats future proof as much as possible

Comments

• I create a "downloaded" folder inside my bitmap and symbols folder to hold everything that I have either created, bought, or downloaded. I figure that If I ever have to install CC3 on another computer or rebuild mine I can at least copy that folder and have all the extras I've accumulated outside of what comes with the program. Within those folders, I get rather neurotic creating a million subfolders by category (i.e. a houses folder that is then subdivided into "square", "circle", "elf", etc.) I think the more subdivisions you have the easier it is to find stuff later as your building the map.

The most important thing, is to NOT move any pngs that you have already used in maps (if they are not in the old location then CC3 will display a big ugly X because it can't find the file.) So, if your reorganizing, I suggest copying the stuff you've already used rather than moving it.

Hope that helps - glad to hear if others have other tips.
  • I yeah i know about not moving them, learnt that the hard way :-p. I'm getting the same about the sub-folders..but get about 1/4 through and think hang on..this would be better in another category,then notice that it fits the ones just done etc. Trying to plan so i dont have to move them again for a looong time
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    My best tip is:

Copy your symbol collection complete onto a USB hard drive. If your built-in hard drive goes down the tubes, you still can live in paradise, complete with snakes and apples (even naked Eves, if you've grabbed such a symbol somewhere).
  • edited August 2012
    Posted By: VintyriMy best tip is:

Copy your symbol collection complete onto a USB hard drive. If your built-in hard drive goes down the tubes, you still can live in paradise, complete with snakes and apples (even naked Eves, if you've grabbed such a symbol somewhere).
    As far as folders are concerned - I always keep everything on burned DVD-Rs for back up. I have not - as of yet - tried a USB hard drive, or a USB zip drive - but it sounds like a good idea too.

Well-I dont know about a naked Eve - but I can sure draw up a mess of delicious nymphs and fae for y'all, not to mention other yummy fantasy "critters" (Oh man...I've really been out of the dating scene WAY too long, lol). I'm still working on the symbols project - and everybody gets them when they are finished.
  • I intend to burn it onto a back-up dvd (in case i lose the drive or it gets damaged) as well..double back up allways helps.
    What do you guys use as categories

So far i have the following master categories
    - Common
    - Fantasy
    - Sci-fi
    - Modern
    - Tiles

it's the sub-cats i having trouble with
  • Since I only map fantasy - I have the following subfolders: Animals, Armor, Blacksmith, Bloodstains, Boats, Books, Buildings, Campsite, Church, Coffins, Containers, Corpse, CSUAC, Docks, Doors, Fireplace, Furniture, Gear, KItchen, LIghting, Market, Mine, Monsters, Pillars, Pools, Prison, Road, Ruins, Sewer, Shadows, Stables, Stairs, Tables, Tavern, Throne, Tools, Trap Doors, Wagons, Weapons, Wells...

and then within many of those I have even more detailed subfolders.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    CDs and DVDs make just as good a backup as a USB hard drive ... for awhile ... but they often self-destruct with time, much less time than a caching hard drive. Reconsider. USB external hard drives are rather inexpensive.
  • edited August 2012
    Posted By: VintyriCDs and DVDs make just as good a backup as a USB hard drive ... for awhile ... but they often self-destruct with time, much less time than a caching hard drive. Reconsider. USB external hard drives are rather inexpensive.
    Well "V", a DVD-R's life expectancy is dependant on it's care. If you store it in a good DVD slimline or jewel case, don't bang it around and drop it all of the time, and keep it away from excessive heat, it should last as long as you do. As long as you do not scratch or damage the metal oxide side of the disk - you've got no worries. The plastic lens layer can be rebuffed / repolished if IT becomes mildly / superficially scratched. DVD polishing kits and machines are available - but you should not need them if you use the disks for backup data storage only, and rarely handle them anyway.

You are only suppose to hold a disk by it's outer rim edges, avoiding touching the metal side completely. You can clean them with a lint free cheesecloth or a non abrasive cosmetics sponge using 90% to 99% ispropryol (rubbing) alchohol, or an eyeglasses / contact lens cleaning solution (saline free only).
  • CD-Rs are not the same as original pressed CDs. The CD-r uses a dye that the data is burned into and this dye is very susceptible to degradation. Heat, humidity, off-gassing of carpet, furniture, or household chemicals can essentially "smear" the dye layer. Life expectancy is 2 to 5 years. I've had some last well over 5 years. I've lost some after less than a year. YMMV
  • i suppose the best thing is not to rely on one single back-up medium
  • Yup. I have several external USB hard drives, and i save to dvds and cdrs.

I include all of my web sites in this as well.
  • edited August 2012
    I have DVD-R media dating back to 2004, and they work just dandy - no problemo. I like DVD-Rs because the data is "burned" into the disk itself - not floating around in EM signal form only like a USB drive.

USB Drives / flash drive data can probably get damaged if exposed to excessive static, or getting them near magnetic sources. No such danger with DVD-Rs. The data on a DVD-R just doesn't "fade away" like a movie on an old VHS tape or something. If they are stored and handled correctly there is no substantial degradation at all really. They stay as fresh as a daisy.

The Disk Drive / Burner itself is another story. I can pretty much gaurantee that if you burn a lot of disks - like during a project where you burn an store dated sequential project progress disks like I do - (you never know when an incomplete project disk that is an abandoned project that you gave up on doing a long time ago - can become awsome stock material for other projects) - your going to go through some burners / drives, especially if you buy cheap. A typical drive for me lasts about two or three years if I'm lucky - but usually konks out after about 18 months in.

I think that part of the problem is that I have my puter in my bedroom, which doubles as my office - and it's a very dusty / linty environment. I have my computer desk, my drawing / drafting desk, my library, my drawing and drafting equipment, and my folders and paper stacks in my bedroom. It's convenient because I usually get really drousy if I've been taxing my brain for too long working on something - and cat naps are a good way for me to reboot - which is odd because I can't sleep when I'm SUPPOSED to (insomnia), lol.