Finding the right export / import settings (FT3 - CC3)

Greetings,

Setup: I have Fractal Terrains 3, Campaign Cartographer 3, and February 2009 (#26) Annual installed.

Issue: I would like to export a planar world generated in FT3 into CC3 and then apply the Annual #26 style to it. All I really need from FT3 is the basic outlines of the continents. I plan to use CC3 to create the mountains, lakes, rivers, forests, etc. I have been working with the export function of FT3 and I can open my maps in CC3 without issue. The problem that I cannot seem to sort is applying the desired color effects (from Annual #26) to the imported maps. (i.e. the land should have that tan sandy color and the water should have that soft blue color to it - what I get is land masses that have pre-defined colors from FT3 that I can't change). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Seth

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You will need to import the FT3 export map into a new one created from the Annual 26 style, only then do the fill styles become available in the map. Do the following:

- Open your FT3 export and measure the size of your area (Distance command from the Info menu).
    - Open a second instance of CC3 and start a new map based on the CA26 style and give it the size you just measured.
    - Use the clipboard (Strg-c) to copy the outline you need over from the FT3 map to your new one.
    - Use "Change like draw tool" (right-click CHange Properties button for this) to give the imported outline the Land Default look.
    - Continue mapping in this style.

Hope that helps,
    Ralf
  • @Ralf:
    Your suggestions (and step-by-step) was exactly what I needed. After some toying around, I needed to select only a small portion of my FT3 map, and export it with no colors - just coast lines. I could then open that in CC3 and copy the land masses over to the second map (created with CA26 style). I am tinkering with the raw land masses at this point. Changing some of the sharp points left over from FT3. I am really enjoying the Edit -> Reshape -> Fractalise option for smoothing out the land edges. I think that after a day or two of tweaking, it will be ready for the Change like draw tool.

Again, thanks for your quick reply and excellent walk-through.

-Seth