UPDATE: How Everything Is Going - And Starting Again On Symbols

Hi y'all.

Well - the rollercoaster ride that is just about "par for the course" around here in my little kingdom seems to be settling a bit. My mother is doing fine after her stroke - and is due to be out of the hospital around August 6th - or August 8th (not sure). She doing quite well - but will need some measure of living assistance from here on out. All in all - it could have been a lot worse - and I am thankful that it wasn't. Thank you to everybody, to Jim, to my buddy Shessar, and to everybody else who kept us in your thoughts and prayers. Words have power.

Ok - now back to business. I am going to once again focus my efforts on the Symbols Project that I have been working on. Hopefully when I get this thing done it won't look like crapola, lol.
I am now going to start on the core symbols such as trees, mountains, bridges, towns, hazards, etc.. This set is already up to over 900 symbols - so it should cover feasably just about everything, lol.

As you can see below - I even have symbols for Imperial Mammoths, Siberian Mammoths, and Mastodons.I just have an awful problem with veering off into tangents and drawing what I want to - instead of what I need to, lol. I was calling the Siberian Mammoth an "Oliphant" for a while there - but I decided to go with the original name instead.

Special Note - Remy Monsen and all other contacts - I have changed my email addy - whisper me for an update to contact info.

Comments

• Looks nice, I like the feel of "action" in the livestock icons. Admittedly though, I was expecting to see a picture of my ex-wife on the icon labeled "Harpies"
  • edited August 2012
    Posted By: SvenLooks nice, I like the feel of "action" in the livestock icons. Admittedly though, I was expecting to see a picture of my ex-wife on the icon labeled "Harpies"
    Aaaaaahhhhh - I could send you the full rez image, and you could use it to make a nice personalized holiday card for her, I can just feel the warm fuzzy mushy goo goo vibes, lol ;)
  • edited August 2012
  • I'm glad to hear that your mom is doing better TA. Positive energy is still being sent her way.

Cool art as always! As a passionate collector of mapping symbols, I can't wait to get my hands on some of these. :D
  • edited August 2012
    You will Shessar - and thank you for the positivity - we need oodles of it.

I sat down last night and started drawing out some dead tree symbols - and I reviewed some mountains I had sketched out to - and I was trying to get the perspective right on the forward tilt angles of the land forms. they look like they are about 60 degrees obverse of viewer perspective on the default CC3 mountains and towns and such - so that's one thing that I'm trying to work out. I can add the shadow layers - no prob - but I'll have to wip out my 30/60 triangle and my trusty old metal drafting compasses to work out where the perspective angles are - if I decide to get a little more exact than just "playing it by ear" (SEE BELOW GRAPHIC). I didn't use the "30/60 Rule" on the mountains that I have already sketched, but they look about right anyway thus far. I think I'll use some drafting skills on working out construction lines for the buildings / structures though (towns, cities, etc.).
  • edited August 2012
    Ah sorry TA but the math teacher in me cries when you write that theta', which is obviously greater than a right angle, is equal to 60° when it equals 120°.
    Isometric view has all it axes to 120°. Your 30° angle is right though...
    Great work with your symbols! Don't let it stop you ;)
  • edited August 2012
    Posted By: Joachim de RavenbelAh sorry TA but the math teacher in me cries when you write that theta', which is obviously greater than a right angle, is equal to 60° when it equals 120°.
    Isometric view has all it axes to 120°. Your 30° angle is right though...
    Great work with your symbols! Don't let it stop you ;)
      Sorry my brother, been a LONG time since college, my brain cells are withering with time, and my mind often spins like a hot roulette wheel at Ceasar's Palace. Apologies and thanks for the correction. That was just a graphic showing what the heck I'm trying to mull over here. I don't want the structures and such to look "goofy", so I'm trying to match the angles with the actual CC3 default sets. I was actually using my 30 / 60 triangle to sort this out - and the vertical matched my 60 degree position for my triangle (but I had it flipped the wrong way), and the bottom plane, as you said - matches the 30 degree lateral plane. seems that I got the angle reversed. I'm a little dislexic and I think the early stages of senility are starting to settle in, lol.
      You'll note the question mark in the graphic - which indicates that I kinda sensed that I was doing something wrong there - hence - I was having marginal lucidity, lol.

Also - it really wouldn't hurt me to crack open my Precalc Trig book and bone back up on my math again. Been thinking about maybe going back to school - but I've got to get out of here first, as everything East of the Rockies disagrees with me oh so harshly, lol. Hopefully my brain hasn't decayed beyond the ability to learn - as apparantly my memory is shot, lol :)
    • 7 days later
    • Posted By: Terraformer_Author
      Posted By: SvenLooks nice, I like the feel of "action" in the livestock icons. Admittedly though, I was expecting to see a picture of my ex-wife on the icon labeled "Harpies"
      Aaaaaahhhhh - I could send you the full rez image, and you could use it to make a nice personalized holiday card for her, I can just feel the warm fuzzy mushy goo goo vibes, lol ;)
        Thank you - alas it would do no good as she passed away from extreme bitterness.
      • edited August 2012
        Posted By: Sven
        Posted By: Terraformer_Author
          Thank you - alas it would do no good as she passed away from extreme bitterness.
          AAaaaaahhh - well then...Perhaps a nice Banshee might be more appropriate? Lol ;)
        • No Banshee = Ban Sidhe = "Lady of the Sidhe/Fairies" are only bad if you p**s them off by doing something bad. Harpies became that way from beautiful women by going bad .... then they just dropped dung & filth everywhere they went & nagged you to death -- a whole different breed of monster. Julia started out good then went bad - she was more of a harpie!

But all that humor is just an aside -- we should probably focus on the wonderful work you are doing! I look forward to the collection being published.
        • Posted By: SvenNo Banshee = Ban Sidhe = "Lady of the Sidhe/Fairies" are only bad if you p**s them off by doing something bad. Harpies became that way from beautiful women by going bad .... then they just dropped dung & filth everywhere they went & nagged you to death -- a whole different breed of monster. Julia started out good then went bad - she was more of a harpie!

But all that humor is just an aside -- we should probably focus on the wonderful work you are doing! I look forward to the collection being published.
          I am really trying for something awsome with this project - and it's going to be published. Remy Monsen did a test of these for me a while back - and he did wonderfully. I'm kinda pondering courting him onboard to perhaps lend his talents to helping me scale and edit these pups (just an idea I was toying with - Remy is a fabulously busy gent, and I know for a fact that he has a very full daily schedule - so that's actually an unrealistic notion, but a nice one to ponder nonetheless).

I want to create a symbol collection that is as comprehensive as I can get it. As I see it I have two major hurdles to overcome:

#1, I keep getting new ideas - hence - the collection keeps growing like Georgia Kudzu, and
          #2, I need to get these scaled right so that they are truly transparent and don't have a yucky whitish border around them when I do get them scaled.

I need to do the core symbols also - and I'm working on that now.