For those who are just starting FT3

I like many new users, am astounded and petrified at the same time by what I can do with FT3. At times it is frustrating to to flip through electronic documentation on what I am doing or not doing. Between the help file, Terraformer and The Tome information is scattered. Finding an answer can take far too long. I spend more time trying to figure out how to get the combinations of altitude, rain fall and temperature to work together. Just to get the climate I want. Not to mention deciding which tool can achieve the result the fastest.

And there is the crux of my problem. time. Right now I do not have a whole lot of it. I would love to spend all day working on this project. You see, I am working on building a world. A game setting world, not just for myself but as a prototype for a much larger project. That however is another story. For the most part there seems to be a small amount of information about using FT3.

So, here is what I am going to do. I am going to be putting up my work and what I am discovering along the way. This will be placed in a thread called "The Hoary Realm, WIP", so please make comments. I would love to hear what others have learned about using FT3 and where they have found information and inspiration on building the maps that is is capable of doing. I may get frustrated, angry and confused as I hammer this thing out. But I am bound to figure it out. After all I paid for it.

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited July 2012
    When I use FT3, I generate a random world. I take all of it, or a part of it, and export it as bmp or as a CC3 file.

I import into CC3. If I export then import as a bmp, I decide on scale.

I have exported a continent from FT3, and decided it would make a great island. So I imported it into CC3 a much smaller template, on a bmp layer I created, and traced it out as an island.

This as FT3 export was a continent was originaly a CC2 file with new dimensions on it.
    edited July 2012
    I turned it into this island. The marked squares match my columns and rows for my surface maps. These marked areas were separated out and used in templates I created with dimensions of 180 x 234 miles.
    edited July 2012
    This is surface map V- Q, lower left of the above map. I'll eventually zoom in and make maps of the smaller areas, villages with streets, castles, etc.
    v_q.PNG 164.2K
  • Posted By: JimPWhen I use FT3, I generate a random world. I take all of it, or a part of it, and export it as bmp or as a CC3 file.

I import into CC3. If I export then import as a bmp, I decide on scale.

I have exported a continent from FT3, and decided it would make a great island. So I imported it into CC3 a much smaller template, on a bmp layer I created, and traced it out as an island.

This as FT3 export was a continent was originaly a CC2 file with new dimensions on it.
      How did you get the contour lines and measurements?
    • I came up with them by deciding what range I wanted the above sea level ranges and the below sea level ranges.

surface map color chart