More FT3 questions

So I have been fiddling for a while with FT3. What I have done so far:

Started with a flat world and ran through the tutorial.
Used a hand drawn map/overlay and build the basic land masses.
Built up a few mountain ranges.
Mucked about with manipulating the rainfall, elevation, temperature and other tools to get the types of climates where I want them.

So here are the questions
First when finished I want to be able to insert or print a separate color key. Any suggestions
While manipulating such things as climate is there a way for me to curb the effect the tool has on neighboring climates?
Is there a setting that causes this that I can change?

For example, when painting the boarders of Arboreal/Alpine, Chaparral and Desert the boarders between the them are hard not to effect.

I am sure this has to do with the underlying elevation.

When using the Elevation tool and looking at the "View Properties" Window, is the information displayed there taken as a sample from the brush size or from the end of the cursor?

Here is the climate map I am working with for now.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Wow! That looks a little too big. What do you guys recommend as far as the size of images in a post? Not to mention that I forgot to close my color key and properties window.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The climate tool should be painting the exact selected climate. The individual painted samples will be visible on the final image. Changing the climate via changing the temperature/rainfall values will result in bands of climates that span the adjustments. The final climate is calculated according to a lookup in a 2D table ( http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/climateinfo.gif ). The Image Climate shader allows direct specification of the colors on a 2D image instead of a lookup into a cliamte value table followed by a lookup into the climate color table.

The information on the View Properties window shows the current values at the tip of the cursor; it does not average values around the cursor.