Sheets and layers get themselves confused?

I'm seeing a strange and annoying problem with symbols and sheets. I am working on a multisheet dungeon (ie. 1 sheet per floor, floors are in a tower so are vertically stacked). I have found that working on on sheet (floor) I can add symbols fine, move them around resize them, etc no problem. But sometimes when I zoom into a part of the map (which doesn't have any of the symbols on it, I think), then when I zoom back out or move to another part of the map, all my recently added symbols have vanished - to be found on another sheet called SYMBOLs or WALLS or FLOORS or WALL SYMBOLS (these in my particular case), which I certainly did not add, and the names of these sheets actually look suspiciously like they are the names of the default layers on which those symbols reside. And being on their own sheets they are hidden unless I show all sheets, in which case they appear on all sheets. My only resort up to this point is to use Move to Sheet to force them onto the sheets where I want them to be. This seems to me to be incorrect behaviour - anyone else seeing this. More importantly, anyone got a fix?

Running Windows 7 X64

Comments

• Symbols go to the symbols sheet. But if the symbol is a wall symbol it can create a wall sheet and place itself there. This is normal.
  • OK so how do I stop it doing that - it is really irritating

If all symbols go on the SYMBOLS sheet when I add symbols to other sheets, how do I show them on the sheets where I put them? If I Hide all sheets except the current and Common sheets, then the symbols do not appear on any of the other sheets. If I untick the hide all sheets, then then all the symbols on SYMBOLS sheet appear on ALL of the other sheets.

So for example, if I place a Door on Floor 1 sheet and a Column on Floor 2 sheet, then both symbols end up on the SYMBOLS sheet, then with Hide Sheets unticked, I get the Door and the Column on Floor 1 AND the same Door and Column on Floor 2 sheet - which is plain wrong.
  • edited June 2012
    Posted By: leosuthOK so how do I stop it doing that - it is really irritating
    -Click the Options button above the symbol catalog
    -Uncheck "Symbols choose their own sheet"
    -Click OK
    -All symbols will now be placed on the currently selected Sheet

I can't remember, but you may have to reset this each time you restart CC3.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited June 2012
    We actually asked Profantasy for symbols to be forced to go onto the symbol sheet when we place them. You can use 'move sheet' under Change Properties button on the left side of CC3 to alter that.

Also, at the top of the Symbols window, where you see the actual symbols, click on the Options bar.

One of the check marks is for 'Symbols choose own sheet'. Try it checked, and unchecked, to see which gives you the results you want.You can use the 'move to front' commands, upper right of CC3, to move symbols in front of another symbol as long as they are on the same layer.

CC3 is based on FastCAD, a computer assisted design program, so it doesn't act the same as a paint program.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    By default CC3 symbols go on the sheet SYMBOLS and the currently selected layer. The sheet is set in the symbol options that you can access via the Symbol Manager (Symbols > Symbol Manager > select the symbol > Options). AS Shessar says, this option can be shut off from the Options above the catalog window.

To get a little more into the details, the sheet option for symbols usually says "SYMBOLS*" (note the asterisk), meaning the symbol with go on either SYMBOLS or - if you have another sheet currently selected that starts with SYMBOLS in the name - on that sheet. This is typically used to differentiate between symbols that need different sheet effects, e.g. SYMBOLS FLAT for dungeon symbols like trapdoors that don't cast a shadow.

I also find this very useful to sort symbols in my overland maps, eg I have typically have a separate sheet SYMBOLS TREES to put my trees on.

There ARE a few symbols that use different options, having either their own special sheets in their options (this is rare), or being multi-sheet symbols that split into two or more entities on placement which go on different sheets. This is used to have symbols that have a blurry, colored background but a crisp black outline for example.

If specific symbols are giving you trouble, you can always view their Options in the Symbol Manager to see what they are set up to do.

Hope this helps clarify things a little.
  • 19 days later
  • Can the same theory be applied to contours, land shapes and the like.

In other words is there a global setting to ONLY put what I am working on, onto a sheet that I assign it?