More symbols for the April 2012 annual ?

I really like the April 2012 Annual Overland style from Herwin Wielink and was wondering if there was a plan to include more symbols for this style in a later annual this year. It would be wonderful.
Im sure Herwin has lots of ideas, like mage towers, elven towns, harbour, dwarf fortresses....

Comments

• the april annual has become my favorite overland style, and i agree that more symbols would be amazing.
  • DargurdDargurd Traveler
    Count me in for the same request. Please please please lets have more !
  • edited June 2012
    By the way, if some people are interested, we could also order new symbols from Herwin directly. This way we could share the costs.
    Who s in?

MODERATOR EDIT: Removed price quote.
  • I'm totally in.....can you ask him about symbols for the June annual as well??? Would love to see some curved pieces, like floor tiles and pathways.
  • I guess hes ready to make some for the june one too. I guess similar price.
  • Totally in. He's an amazing talent.
  • Do you have any list of symbols youd like to get? The objective would be to see how much we could commnalize.

I've already started a list but have not finished:
    - high elves cities
    - wood elves cities
    - halfling village
    - dwarves fortress and cities
    - city with harbour
  • nothing in particular i can think of. i like to let the style of the objects help me create my maps, not the other way around. anything else from him will be welcome...
  • Ok. That will make it easier to coordinate: )
    i hope we can find other persons interested though.
    By the way do u have an email to coordinate?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2012
    I'm always interested in additional symbols, but do you know if there are any usage/sharing limitation for the symbols at that price? Can the symbol be used commercially (like you can do with the ones you get from ProFantasy)? Can the symbols be shared with others, or are they only available for the original purchaser? (If the latter is the case, we can't "chip in" and share the cost). The price seems a bit low for fulfilling both those conditions.

MODERATOR EDIT: Removed quoted price.
  • My initial request to Herwin was to make some symbols for me, or commercial use. I therefore dont think there is any issue.

Im checking with Herwin how he would like to proceed if we order them in group.

Would u br interested if we can use them for commercial use and redistribute them?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am interested in any case (provided the final price is reasonable), but before anyone plans to commission anything as a group, it is very important to have those two points clarified. The commercial point is important so that we know how to use the symbols, but the distribution point is very important, because if you are not able to redistribute them, that basically stops dead the idea of buying them together to save money, since each person would need to buy his own license. In the latter case however, he might offer a group rate.

I would prefer to have this put out as a package by ProFantasy if possible though, instead of buying from the artist directly. I would love an "annual upgrade" package that contains additional symbols for a bunch of the annuals, not just this one/these two.
  • Ive asked to Herwin yesterday... ill keep you updated on his answer.
  • I would prefer to have this put out as a package by ProFantasy if possible though, instead of buying from the artist directly. I would love an "annual upgrade" package that contains additional symbols for a bunch of the annuals, not just this one/these two.
    This sounds like the better option.
  • Its probably the better option... but also the most complex to put in place. Organizing things ourselves is easy to put in place and we can make sure it happens. Waiting for ProFantasy may work... but maybe they wont do anything.
  • Just a quick update after receiving an email from Herwin:

- the quotation i gave above was only valid for a given set of symbols i asked from Herwin. Once we define which images we want we would need to ask a specific quotation from Herwin
    - he does not seem to have any problems with commercial
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    This sounds like a great idea, if people are in on the ground floor. What about people who discover CC3 or the annuals later? Or who can't buy the annual now but can get it down the road? What sort of price point do those people face if they want the additional symbols and are unable to pitch in now? Wouldn't going through ProFantasy be a good long-term solution?

Just curious. I don't really know how this sort of thing works.
    ~Dogtag
  • I just wrote to ProFantasy... will keep you updated.
  • going through profantasy may be the better long term solution. that way there is no ambiguity as to usage. however, i would like to see HW properly compensated for his hard work. not sure if an "annual update" would accomplish this. would it be a stand alone expansion, or included in the annual subscription price? lots to hash out here. i personally have no problem commissioning work from him for a small group, but if it can be done in a better way, then i'm all for it....
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited June 2012
    Hi folks,

I appreciate your enthusiasm about getting new symbols for the isometric style, but I have to ask you to cool it down a bit. Herwin has notified me that he did not mean that quote to be public, such financial arrangements are something between an artist and a client, and should not normally be discussed in a public forum like this. I highly recommend to...

a) discuss this throughly with Herwin Wielink in private before doing any public discussion. Herwin does NOT normally read this forum, nor is he a CC3 user himself. Keep that in mind!
    b) ask us about legal/copyright implications if you want to distribute any CC3-compatible material publicly.

I can say pretty confidently (but a this point this is not an officially ProFantasy statement but my personal opinion), that you WILL see some more symbols from Herwin Wielink through the Annual and/or Perspectives. So...

c) you might want to wait a moment, until we can think this through and do an announcement.

Sorry for the intervention, just trying to keep things working properly here. :)

Ralf
  • Thanks a lot for your message (here and in private).

Indeed im very sorry to have shared this quotation applicable to some very specific symbols i asked from him. The main idea was to give an overall idea about costs.

As for distribution, it would be for sure better to get the files as part of his CC3 style... but otherwise this can also be managed as normal images. This is not as convenient to use, but at least more simple for licensing. In my case i just wanted to make nicer maps with more symbols and never planned to redistribute anything... less burden: )